Did The Bluecoats Set A Paradigm Shift in DCI?

2 hours ago, 31rabbit said:

well I'm not t....

I'd say the Cadet 05 Big Idea (see, I'll present it anyways) was showing the value of storytelling. ...........

now you're welcome to disagree with that pet thesis all you want. and it's a discussion I always enjoy.

but its relevance to THIS thread is that there is no thesis statement to what is so influential about BC 2016, let alone any evidence.

I was hoping you'd do that :-) 

FWIW I agree with you about Bloo.   As I said a number of times,  the big change for me with Bloo'16 is the seamless integration of electronic and acoustic voices.  And I'm not sure that's actually a good thing.  

Not sure about Cadets '05.  

When I think about the most recent time Cadets changed the activity, I think of 97/98.   IMO they redefined what speed meant in those two years  They made everyone else look like slow motion.   It just blew me away (not to mention bringing that brass band literature on to the field!) 

As for storytelling...maybe good storytelling has always been really effective in DCI/marching music.  It's just that they did it exceptionally well that season.  I'll think about your premise some more. 

But thanks for taking the time to post it.  

Edited by corpsband

FWIW, I am a big Bloooo supporter. I never claimed Bloooo set a new paradigm. They just presented a #### entertaining show last year worthy of the gold. I am a bit apprehensive about how they can top it next year, but I felt that way ever since Tilt. I will let you know my intentionally vague impressions come May. 

• Like 1

I think Volume of Attention Paid to storytelling changed with 05 Cadets. look at 89 SCV...how much storytelling is actually in that show? compare it to Crown or Academy last year, BD 2015, PR 08, Cadets 05-08.  96 BD and 97 Scouts are definite precursors to Original Narrative steering a show. but I observe a tangible uptick in Priority of Theme/Arc post 05 compared to prior. How much of why INK won is because of the effect they were able to build through narrative?

not always for the good, but it's there in more at a higher percentage than previously, and I think 05 was the lynchpin that ramped it up. but that's my thesis, and I'm always eager to argue about it. via text these arguments have the feel of more snark than is maybe intended, but i'm all for making Bold Statements about the activity in the Macro scale.

there was a kind of 'chillness' to BC 16. it was often self-aware, with the MMs watching each other, applauding each other and so forth, not to mention Winking. shades of Crown 11 in that it admitted it was a show, and invited the audience to hang while they played. which is almost an early 90's thing, which is in turn a way-back thing. the activity got very Serious on a personality level in its upper tiers from the mid 90s, got VERY serious in the cavalier days of the 00s. if more corps next year and down the line are 'approachable,' THAT might be something I'd credit BC with. not a new innovation entirely, but a level of personability that distinctly increased the enjoyment fans got from the show.

23 minutes ago, 31rabbit said:

there was a kind of 'chillness' to BC 16. it was often self-aware, with the MMs watching each other, applauding each other and so forth, not to mention Winking. shades of Crown 11 in that it admitted it was a show, and invited the audience to hang while they played. which is almost an early 90's thing, which is in turn a way-back thing. the activity got very Serious on a personality level in its upper tiers from the mid 90s, got VERY serious in the cavalier days of the 00s. if more corps next year and down the line are 'approachable,' THAT might be something I'd credit BC with. not a new innovation entirely, but a level of personability that distinctly increased the enjoyment fans got from the show.

Now you're approaching the Madison comment.  Remember when Madison WAS the show?  They played very accessible, rhythmic music (ie it had a GROOVE).  Featured soloists a lot.  Interacted with the crowd.  If I closed my eyes I could hear the 1990's Scouts playing Bloo's show.  And because they were so entertaining,  almost everyone "forgot" about the electronics and "forgot" about the WGI pajamas.  It really is a Madison show with updated visuals :-) (Oh and there was visual dirt everywhere!) 

Edited by corpsband

I've never heard a crowd louder than the end of Madison's show in 97. I never compare anybody to Madison in the 90's, that's just a specific fan zone I stand in in which the corps being compared will always come up short based on a bias in my heart. If they set The Second Coming to music, it'll still pale in comparison to the end of that 99 Scouts show.  

when I really think about 'feel' and experience, I want to put BC16 next to Cavaliers 07 (Billy Joel). we're getting into amorphous areas, but I want to compare the big hits in BC's show  very much of the opening hit from that cavies show, or the big moment at the end of Pressure. that Billy Joel show was not everything it could have, but it also had some really good moments. and the best of those moments are, in my mind, kin to the best moments of BC. not to say the shows are similar, but my reactions to them are.

Already a thread open on this. It can be found here.

Closing