Did The Bluecoats Set A Paradigm Shift in DCI?

Every decade in drum corps history, one corps will set a new standard that changes the activity forever. When Garfield in '83 changed the entire concept of marching, everyone followed in line. (You could argue that the '80 Vanguard actually set the bar for "off-balance" configurations on the field, but...) It's usually because other corps feel if THAT concept is favorable to the judges, then they better incorporate their own "version" of it.

So, did the 2016 Bluecoats set forth a paradigm shift in the activity with their show? And what can we expect from BD, SCV, Cadets and others?

If you request your two duplicate threads be closed in favor of the earlier one on the same subject, I'll give you a pair of dimes.

• Like 1

I guess I'd need to hear what was revolutionary about this BC show.

the ramps are just kind of tweaked platforms/ladders.
body movement? mandatory for the last 5 years at least.

they made some interesting refinements to soloist highlighting that actually kind of harken back to early 90s but with modern tech.

and I dunno if uniforms count as an entire paradigm.

aside: if people who are vocal about 'old drum corps is best drum corps get your props off my lawn!' are dinosaurs, is there a name for the perfervid group that is eager to insist that last year's best/most popular show was the best show of all time ever by anybody and is the new gold standard?  can we call them Goldfish?

on the one hand I appreciate that kind of excitement, it's excellent leaving the stands thinking you've never seen anything like that before and wow!
but maybe every show doesn't rewrite history or get chiseled into Mount Rushcorps.

• Like 2

"aside: if people who are vocal about 'old drum corps is best drum corps get your props off my lawn!' are dinosaurs, is there a name for the perfervid group that is eager to insist that last year's best/most popular show was the best show of all time ever by anybody and is the new gold standard?  can we call them Goldfish?

on the one hand I appreciate that kind of excitement, it's excellent leaving the stands thinking you've never seen anything like that before and wow!
but maybe every show doesn't rewrite history or get chiseled into Mount Rushcorps."

Creativity by 31Rabbit is touching Box 5. Clarity of thought is similar.  Overview Perspective is definitely World Class. Introduction of new vocabulary and nomenclature challenges both the judges, posters, and perhaps current MMs. (perfervid, Goldfish, Mt. Rushcorps.)

However, boundary penalties if you are a White Rabbit as that has been done several seasons before.

Thank you for this opportunity, and I wish you a successful summer season. 

Edited by xandandl

If we were going to argue that any corps set a shift to dance, flexible uniforms etc, I would absolutely say it was Crown's '13 show. I think people get very excited about the Bluecoats and what they've done and forget that a lot of it was already getting done by Crown. Bluecoats set the standard for electronics, sure (they made it very hard for people to complain about them, that's for sure), but other than that..