Atlanta CV New Look

They've been using the SB's, X-Man. :satisfied: I think though the darker green accent give these unis a really longer and leaner overall form.

The big thing King needs to do with the SB's is to try and make them more durable. They're like acid-dipped Trans-Am race cars from the late 60's. I would bet- and I would dare not try this to someone's axe because it's the height of evil- that you could prolly press hard enough on the right spot of one with your thumb and you might dimple the brass. My repairman works on them for the Naval Academy, he'd know for sure. He showed me some issues- and the Middies aren't hard on their axes.

11 hours ago, BigW said:

The big thing King needs to do with the SB's is to try and make them more durable. They're like acid-dipped Trans-Am race cars from the late 60's. I would bet- and I would dare not try this to someone's axe because it's the height of evil- that you could prolly press hard enough on the right spot of one with your thumb and you might dimple the brass. My repairman works on them for the Naval Academy, he'd know for sure. He showed me some issues- and the Middies aren't hard on their axes.

King no longer makes System Blue horns. SB was spun off into it's own company and does it's own manufacturing through a completely different factory. All of the horns were redesigned in the process. The Middies use the old King SB horns, while corps like Atlanta CV, Minnesota, Kidsgrove, and Cabs (transitioning) use the new SB horns.

11 hours ago, Kamarag said:

King no longer makes System Blue horns. SB was spun off into it's own company and does it's own manufacturing through a completely different factory. All of the horns were redesigned in the process. The Middies use the old King SB horns, while corps like Atlanta CV, Minnesota, Kidsgrove, and Cabs (transitioning) use the new SB horns.

Interesting, John- the issue to me wasn't build quality- just the fragility of the instruments based on their extreme lightness. A design and materials choice. I would hope the new ones off the line are addressing some of that and getting a good balance between handiness/agility and durability. They play wonderfully- the Euphonium's able to play in all ranges, even with a large 3G mouthpiece, this I know. It can go into the high end easily and responds as well as my personal concert horn. It was very player-friendly and easy to get to know and enjoy playing- unlike my Kanstul where it's a battle between a stubborn horn and my personal stubbornness every time I pick it up.

The big concern is this to me- most horn lines and bands can't afford to sell off their kit every year or two and buy new. Will they hold up to even careful wear, tear, and care for a few seasons? A new tuba section of SB runs around 110+K, I believe.

If King sold off the brand- is this company totally independent with their own factory or are they farming the production out to someone else? Again the quality looked to be there, just fragility issues. For instance, do the new ones have the very thin drilled out light metal discs (my guess is Aluminum) as the spacers underneath the valves? If yes, have a lot of spares handy or a metalworking mallet and flat surface to beat them flat again.

Cool looking unis

• 2 weeks later...

Like the new look, very serious and fits the CV style. I'll miss the Aussies, but the new Shakoes look good too!  

• 3 weeks later...