Why are the 1995 audio recordings so bad?

Over the past year I've been going through each finals CD from 1984 onward, discovering a ton of great shows that I had somehow missed. Usually I've been spending about two or three weeks focused on each year. That is, until I got to 1995. I just can't bring myself to listen to the mess of cymbal crashes and otherwise indistinguishable trebly noise that is those recordings, and it's making it really hard to warm up some previously unheard shows from that year. It's been taking me forever to get through them. Every other recording up to this year seems to be crystal clear, so I'm wondering what caused this huge step back in quality. I remember reading that this was the year that IBM did the recordings, but is there a reason they messed them up so bad? So much of it is just noise, and it's a shame that they're the only recordings we have of some of those classic shows like Madison and Blue Devils.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Then there was the overcompensation of bass sound in the 1996 recordings.  This didn't make them bad to listen to, just had to be careful with your settings when listening to them, or the bass could drown out the other sounds.  By 1997 it seems that everything is the way it should be from there on through 2017.

*The 1995 recordings almost sound like bootlegs at times.  As if someone was just sitting on the sideline, or in the stands, with a single mic recorder.

Edited by ibexpercussion
added the last sentence after the asterisk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, eightyonepointthree said:

I remember being there and noticing that the mics were VERY low, maybe 8 feet off the ground.  I think if you watch the videos you can tell.  

We complained about them and got the "we feel like the product is fine" responses from DCI.

Haha.  More of that great customer service.

IIRC, These were the years right after they moved the corps staffs off the field and made them sit in the stands because many of the recording were completely saturated with staff screaming.

I remember reading that it was mic placement.  It didn't take long for them to push the mics to 20 feet.  

Now I think they just master out all of that overbalance to make a salable product.

The 1995 recordings were a "one off" by a different vendor.  You will notice from the tapes/dvd's that the company did not even captures the Cavaliers winning score announcement, several shots were actually from semi finals. Take notice of the lady with her fingers crossed hoping for a Cavaliers' win or as it really happened, she was hoping for the Cavaliers to have highest score on semi's night. 

8 hours ago, garfield said:

IIRC, These were the years right after they moved the corps staffs off the field and made them sit in the stands because many of the recording were completely saturated with staff screaming.

I remember reading that it was mic placement.  It didn't take long for them to push the mics to 20 feet.  

Now I think they just master out all of that overbalance to make a salable product.

I bought an audio track of one of the 1995 corps from Fan Network a couple of years ago to see if it sounded any better than the video, and it sounded just as bad. As far as I can tell there's been no remastering except for the two corps they did for the collector Blu-Rays.