Why are the 1995 audio recordings so bad?

That was the year that DCI outsourced the sound engineering to IBM Interactive Media....who

obviously had little grasp on how to mix/master for a Drum Corps show. 

On 2/18/2017 at 11:56 AM, HockeyDad said:

Why do they sound so bad?  Because somebody knew how to do it better. Funny thing is he didn't. 

The "somebody" knew better than to put the center mics 20 feet further back than the outer mics, which DCI did all through the 80's and 90's. That caused phasing so bad it turned every solo into a trio and every snare tap into a buzzroll. Unfortunately, the mic technique in 1995 was otherwise so bad that we got a perfectly-phased recording of the pit and little else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 1:47 AM, eightyonepointthree said:

That roll sounded horrific live :-).

I remember hearing it and thinking "ouch!".

Stand corrected on that point. 

With you being there live, does my theory hold water and did I just completely gas bagged my post. LOL :-)

On 2/22/2017 at 5:30 PM, MikeN said:

IBM did the audio/video in 1995 and 1996.  They didn't have any experience with it.  I'm still sore over how bad the '95 audio is.  From what I remember back in late RAMD/early DCP discussions, the masters were recorded that way, so there's not a lot to be done about it, even if there was the money or will to do it these days (which there most certainly is not).

I'd have given good money to get quality recordings of the 1995 Madison Scouts.

Mike

Agree. Unless DCI has decent recordings from other shows in 1995, it is doubtful to they could really re-master these recordings.  1995 was a wonderful summer.  So it's too bad we have poor audio quality.  Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, Madison all had terrific shows. The Bluecoats also did a patriotic show (much like Cadets) and it was fantastic. I remember being highly entertained at Finals. My girlfriend was marching Cadets, so I traveled a lot that summer to see various shows. 

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. Unless DCI has decent recordings from other shows in 1995, it is doubtful to they could really re-master these recordings.  1995 was a wonderful summer.  So it's too bad we have poor audio quality.  Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, Madison all had terrific shows. The Bluecoats also did a patriotic show (much like Cadets) and it was fantastic. I remember being highly entertained at Finals. My girlfriend was marching Cadets, so I traveled a lot that summer to see various shows. 

Bluecoats 95 and 96 were such great shows

4 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Bluecoats 95 and 96 were such great shows

I feel like I'm the only one who was never able to get into the '95 show.