Cone of silence

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I would agree but , at least in some minds , how many corps who changed a plume color etc etc got torn to pieces before it was even seen. Is it worth it? well I guess corps have that right to decide themselves.

Oh it's absolutely worth it if you understand how to convert engagement into financial support.  Sadly most corps just look at their FB stats and brag to each other about how "big" their metrics are :-/ 

There's no downside at all from a 'corps' perspective.  The "downside"is  only for the fragile egos who don't want to secretly worry if that online poster is right.  The kids don't care -- they're already equipped to deal with the online world.  It's the adults who care.

BTW -- I'm not talking about the compulsive over-sharing that some personalities engage in.  I'm talking about a coordinated social media presence with -- you know -- an actual plan! 

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Oh it's absolutely worth it if you understand how to convert engagement into financial support.  Sadly most corps just look at their FB stats and brag to each other about how "big" their metrics are :-/ 

There's no downside at all from a 'corps' perspective.  The "downside"is  only for the fragile egos who don't want to secretly worry if that online poster is right.  The kids don't care -- they're already equipped to deal with the online world.  It's the adults who care.

I think you are right but also have been in dozens of meetings over the years when this has been discussed. I have also has seen a seed planted that was hard to live down in a short season.

You are right about ego in this activity, there's no doubt of that .

All in all it's like Doctors say now a days...the risk of something verses the benefit.

I agree with the last line you added.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

I think you are right but also have been in dozens of meetings over the years when this has been discussed. I have also has seen a seed planted that was hard to live down in a short season.

If a pre-season criticism has enough staying power to persist in the judges' minds for an entire season,  maybe the criticism was valid?   And maybe they should have exercised enough due diligence around the design table to have recognized it and fixed it before it ever hits the field?   Just sayin' :colgate: 

I'm not suggesting that you need to open the kimono and let the world in on everything.  In fact that sort of un-managed sharing will probably sabotage your conversions.  But the cone of silence only protects one thing...

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

If a pre-season criticism has enough staying power to persist in the judges' minds for an entire season,  maybe the criticism was valid?   And maybe they should have exercised enough due diligence around the design table to have recognized it and fixed it before it ever hits the field?   Just sayin' :colgate: 

I'm not suggesting that you need to open the kimono and let the world in on everything.  In fact that sort of un-managed sharing will probably sabotage your conversions.  But the cone of silence only protects one thing...

I agree , I just get both sides of this debate. I do know some feel it is worth it some not so much. Thats where I say it's only their choice.

Just now, GUARDLING said:

I agree , I just get both sides of this debate. I do know some feel it is worth it some not so much. Thats where I say it's only their choice.

Oh I agree.  (And I don't post things corps don't want posted )

But I also shake my head at corps who could convert those 50000 facebook likes on a video into stability for their corps.  Sadly the activity is so inbred that many (most?) of the "leaders" are just former staff members who wouldn't know a conversion if it jumped and bit them in the ###.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

BTW -- I'm not talking about the compulsive over-sharing that some personalities engage in.  I'm talking about a coordinated social media presence with -- you know -- an actual plan! 

SPOT ON

Edited by Liahona

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

I always thought it'd be fun to do social media/internship stuff for DCI or a corps, always just felt like where I never marched I don't deserve that over alums/former MMS, etc.  

You should NEVER feel that way...internships and volunteering is the lifeblood of these organizations...unfortunately I did not realize this very fact when I marched...otherwise I would have asked my mom to get involved who was very much involved in my HS activities...I was just trying to do on my own and break away from the cradle...in retrospect I regret having that attitude...my advice...get involved!

edit: Just because I marched DCI doesn't give me ANY special privilege.

Edited by Liahona
added thought

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Not a single poster here on DCP  has claimed, nor demanded, that they have " a right to know ". So we can dismiss that consideration for any further discussion right off the bat it would seem to me.

OK so as Liahona mentioned, maybe "demanding" is too strong.  However to put it in context, I didn't mean pound your fist on the table demanding but more of a rigid expectation or strong urging pointing-out-the-negatives-of-not-releasing-info kind of demanding.  Didn't mean to hit a nerve.  I'll leave that up to corpsband.  LOL

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

I think this already occurs...just not as much said publicly...more behind the scenes chatter with the occasional loose lip...

Seem like a lot fewer loose lip this winter.  I'm OK with that.  we'll hear more I am betting, after the next camps.