Cone of silence

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

I think demanding may be a bit strong...I even poorly used that word in my post and didn't really see anyone actually saying demanding...honestly I think the greatest majority of folks are on the fence...That said...I don't think it will make ANY difference one way or another...that is IF you don't wish to GROW your fan-base...just because these archaic strategies worked in the past...doesn't necessarily mean that they will continue to work in the future...Just ask yourself this...what happened to that cash-cow bingo in most cases?...

You are right.  Demanding is a bit strong.  But in the context of demanding being insistent that corps should release information because it isn't wise not to, or because someone thinks they should, approaches demanding.  Just not pound your fist demanding, but somewhat demanding.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

OK so as Liahona mentioned, maybe "demanding" is too strong.  However to put it in context, I didn't mean pound your fist on the table demanding but more of a rigid expectation or strong urging pointing-out-the-negatives-of-not-releasing-info kind of demanding.  Didn't mean to hit a nerve.  I'll leave that up to corpsband.  LOL

No big deal. So its fine... I think most posters realize they have no rights to demand much of anything from Corps, So its more of a soft plea, or a soft request to them ( than a hard demand ).  I'll never confuse your posts with Thou Shan't Be Named ( haha!), ..so its cool, LabMaster .

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

You should NEVER feel that way...internships and volunteering is the lifeblood of these organizations...unfortunately I did not realize this very fact when I marched...otherwise I would have asked my mom to get involved who was very much involved in my HS activities...I was just trying to do on my own and break away from the cradle...in retrospect I regret having that attitude...my advice...get involved!

edit: Just because I marched DCI doesn't give me ANY special privilege.

I guess. I'm not saying they have a special privelage just I'd feel a bit out of place.  

Probably sounds really dumb, wish some were closer to me and I'd probably have just gone for it by now.  

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I guess. I'm not saying they have a special privelage just I'd feel a bit out of place.  

Probably sounds really dumb, wish some were closer to me and I'd probably have just gone for it by now.  

I'm sure once you take the leap....you might actually get hooked...

6 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I hear ya. I didn't march in 1970s because I couldn't afford not to work summers. Now, however, the age and some greater flexibility in time and resources mean I can recharge my interest in drum corps. And I possibly have some professional experiences that matter. But yeah, there is a bit of who am I to volunteer when I can't tell war stories from the 1979 tour.

Not bothered much by the silence, announcements can be good hype or bad hype depending so no biggie

If I were to nitpick, because that’s what we do on DCP,  so Bluecoats kept it under wrap until their first show last year which won. Now all the corps are following the leader as per usual. Great.

26 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Bluecoats kept it under wrap until their first show last year which won. Now all the corps are following the leader as per usual.

I think that's certainly behind some, if not all, of the secrecy now taking place that seems to have gone to unprecedented proportions this particular off season.

38 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Not bothered much by the silence, announcements can be good hype or bad hype depending so no biggie

If I were to nitpick, because that’s what we do on DCP,  so Bluecoats kept it under wrap until their first show last year which won. Now all the corps are following the leader as per usual. Great.

That's not necessarily true. Cadets specifically stated they were trying to make sure licensing issues were handled before releasing any information about their 2017 show.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I hear ya. I didn't march in 1970s because I couldn't afford not to work summers. Now, however, the age and some greater flexibility in time and resources mean I can recharge my interest in drum corps. And I possibly have some professional experiences that matter. But yeah, there is a bit of who am I to volunteer when I can't tell war stories from the 1979 tour.

Hey, just find a group you like and volunteer.  All groups need volunteers.  It may not be a specific thing you want to do but it gets you started.  If it's for a day or a week or the summer, it helps.  MM's love volunteers and they are happy to hear any war stores no matter how enhanced they become over time.  And we do enhance them (creative license, right?).  I can't do a tour but I was a ticket taker and gate watcher at a show.  I know people who tour or do ST for a week helping the kitchen crew.  I know a guy who drives one of the equipment semi's for a week.  He got his CDL just so he could.  Shuttling people to and from airports, helping shop for food.  There are a lot of ways to help.   And if you don't have a specific DC war story, tell a story about anything DC related.  Ask an MM about their stories.  Jump in with both feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

That's not necessarily true. Cadets specifically stated they were trying to make sure licensing issues were handled before releasing any information about their 2017 show.

That's a fair point... on the other hand, Cadets have provided lots of off season percussion videos of the Percussion section playing over the years, and " licensing " is not required, nor is it an issue, for the release of the Percussion sections playing for the Cadets... nor for all the other Corps for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO