Cone of silence

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Its inconceivable that GH did not know the double entendre of " Stoned ". He knew. It was controversial,( and that's him) and that's why he initially selected the theme name. My guess, he heard the giggles reaction, then decided he did not want his MM's saddled with that all summer long. So in retrospect, upon further reflection with it, he decided to srcap his initial choice for the show name. I'm just guessing that's maybe why he changed the name too, of course.

It sold him a lot of tee shirts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Its inconceivable that GH did not know the double entendre of " Stoned ". He knew. It was controversial,( and that's him) and that's why he initially selected the theme name. My guess, he heard the giggles reaction, then decided he did not want his MM's saddled with that all summer long. So in retrospect, upon further reflection with it, he decided to srcap his initial choice for the show name. I'm just guessing that's maybe why he changed the name too, of course.

I don't believe that. If he "knew" (as you are calling for the operation of his mind, which, last time I checked, none of us are clairvoyant), then that leaves the assumption that he wouldn't have initially used that as the show theme only to scrap it a few months later. That sounds insane. It is possible to just have taken it on its face and accept that the show name was not meant to be controversial in that respect.

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

I don't believe that. If he "knew" (as you are calling for the operation of his mind, which, last time I checked, none of us are clairvoyant), then that leaves the assumption that he wouldn't have initially used that as the show theme only to scrap it a few months later. That sounds insane. It is possible to just have taken it on its face and accept that the show name was not meant to be controversial in that respect.

Unless of course he wanted the controversy!  Maybe the fire got just a little to hot for comfort and they were forced to change the name. 

Or not.

imo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Unless of course he wanted the controversy!  Maybe the fire got just a little to hot for comfort and they were forced to change the name. 

Or not.

imo.

Then if he wanted the controversy, then all this "who-shot-john" about not wanting the kids to have to deal with all that is irrelevant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

. It is possible to just have taken it on its face and accept that the show name was not meant to be controversial

Selecting the show name " Stoned ! " in DCI Drum Corps is controversial.  Even many long time Cadets alums were aghast and thought it" controversial". If you don't believe so, go back and read George Dixon's reaction to it here on DCP last preseason.  He and many other Cadets fans and alums wanted the name changed ..and pronto. The reaction from Non Cadets fans and alums was that of mostly giggles inducing however it seemed to me.  So when GH selected " Stoned !" for the early name of last season's Cadets show he was either attempting to be controversial, or he was naïve. Since approx. 99% of people who either like or dislike GH recognize that GH relishes the opportunity to be the center of DCI controversy, my guess, GH was attempting to be the provacateur with this show name, the same way he has been a provocateur in DCI for the last 35 years. But its no big deal, as he did change the name. He got the attention he craved with the name, then summarily dropped it when donors dialed him up, and he concluded he did not want his marchers to be subjected to months of giggles on tour... especially given the fact the show theme. music, staging, was an ever so serious theme with no humor to be derived  from its the Design, nor for the hoped for response from fans everywhere last summer. But that was last season. The Cadets are now chock full of new staffers & new marchers, and what occurred last season ( or previous seasons ) is all rear view mirror stuff now, and no big deal any more, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Having a kiddo going through the rigamarole of audition, callback, callback, ad nauseum has really narrowed my focus this offseason.  I care much more about my one corps than I do all the others combined.

That said, in general the Cone of Silence is maddening, especially with such an insular product as this.  When roughly 60% of your tour and operations costs from sponsors, public, etc., it feels like you're tying one hand behind your back before you even start.

Mike

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Selecting the show name " Stoned ! " in DCI Drum Corps is controversial.  Even many long time Cadets alums were aghast and thought it" controversial". If you don't believe so, go back and read George Dixon's reaction to it here on DCP last preseason.  He and many other Cadets fans and alums wanted the name changed ..and pronto. The reaction from Non Cadets fans and alums was that of mostly giggles inducing however it seemed to me.  So when GH selected " Stoned !" for the early name of last season's Cadets show he was either attempting to be controversial, or he was naïve. Since approx. 99% of people who either like or dislike GH recognize that GH relishes the opportunity to be the center of DCI controversy, my guess, GH was attempting to be the provacateur with this show name, the same way he has been a provocateur in DCI for the last 35 years. But its no big deal, as he did change the name. He got the attention he craved with the name, then summarily dropped it when donors dialed him up, and he concluded he did not want his marchers to be subjected to months of giggles on tour... especially given the fact the show theme. music, staging, was an ever so serious theme with no humor to be derived  from its the Design, nor for the hoped for response from fans everywhere last summer. But that was last season. The Cadets are now chock full of new staffers & new marchers, and what occurred last season ( or previous seasons ) is all rear view mirror stuff now, and no big deal any more, imo

This is all conjecturing unless there is actual proof of this. That the example of George Dixon spoke negatively of the show name on a forum, does not mean the entire alum of Cadets is a monolithic force. We can go back and forth all we want with this, but unless we get the information DIRECTLY FROM THE SOURCE, we have no way of knowing what his motivation behind that show title was, other than what he already said; we cannot conclude he did it for controversy because we don't know what was in his mind. 

• Like 2