Cone of silence

as far as creating a 12-month fandom goes, DCI could do their part by putting a little more verve into their website content. looking at the last 2 months of content, I think I read maybe half a dozen, and none of them with particular zeal. between soliciting content from members/staff/fans, brief interviews with luminaries, thematic lists, and tech discussion, it shouldn't be hard to get at least 2 interesting features a week with minimum effort.  but often I'll go weeks without visiting the DCI site and see I've missed nothing.

yea interviews and stuff would be real nice.  I can understand not releasing music from a licensing standpoint but put more stuff on there.  I only go there from April/May until finals are over.  then I never look all year.

• Like 1

I have a couple feelings about this. The first is that this week a big announcement/tease will come. The second is that with the first top 6 announcement, a flurry of announcements will come. 

I feel like within the next couple months, show announcements will be at rapid fire. I'm ready. That's my glass half full take to corps being so quiet this offseason. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, LabMaster said:

So much wringing of hands surrounding this topic.  So many posters demanding to hear something, anything.  What I sense from so many people is "good god please send me some small tidbit of this years program.  I want so much to offer my expert opinion on the music and see if it is something I can get behind this year."  IMO, a corps may decide release information to tease their fan base a bit, if it is something that helps generate interest or financial support or volunteer work, whatever it may be.  Releasing a little before the season starts is a "nice to have",  but not a "must have" for fans.  Although many corps have a preseason event for fans, families and alumni; the same eager fans, if they are so demanding to be in the know about a program, can help at winter camp.

What I came to learn from a particular org,  was that they felt releasing a lot show information so far in advance, offered nothing beneficial to them.  All it did was release the critical hounds.  Fans, alumni & detractors.  MM's, staff, instructors don't need to be exposed to any of that BS while they work to put a program together.  There will certainly be enough of that once the season begins.  One positive point of releasing some show snippets might be to reach out to potential MM's to fill open spots.  

So please back off demanding and defending your "right to know".  Each corps gets to decide what they put out no matter how people try justifying why they should tell them or show them more.  Go to a camp, help them out.  Just my $.02.

The concept of releasing bits and pieces of a work is not new. It can be helpful, if done correctly.

For a couple of their greatest films (e.g. "Night at the Opera"), the Marx brothers would perform vignettes of sections of the script before live audiences, and they (mostly Groucho) and the writers/director (i.e. the design team) would analyze the audience reactions and make script and timing adjustments accordingly to create the strongest film they could. 

Edited by MikeD

How come I could rarely get a " cone of silence " around my newly licensed teenage kids when they wanted the keys to the family car ?

There was a" Cone of Silence" surrounding this, until it became public during the early season.

http://www.pinstripealley.com/2012/7/28/3198562/this-day-in-yankees-history-david-cone-hired-gun-july-28-1995

Edited by BRASSO

On 2/22/2017 at 5:07 PM, BRASSO said:

Selecting the show name " Stoned ! " in DCI Drum Corps is controversial.  Even many long time Cadets alums were aghast and thought it" controversial". If you don't believe so, go back and read George Dixon's reaction to it here on DCP last preseason.  He and many other Cadets fans and alums wanted the name changed ..and pronto. The reaction from Non Cadets fans and alums was that of mostly giggles inducing however it seemed to me.  So when GH selected " Stoned !" for the early name of last season's Cadets show he was either attempting to be controversial, or he was naïve. Since approx. 99% of people who either like or dislike GH recognize that GH relishes the opportunity to be the center of DCI controversy, my guess, GH was attempting to be the provacateur with this show name, the same way he has been a provocateur in DCI for the last 35 years. But its no big deal, as he did change the name. He got the attention he craved with the name, then summarily dropped it when donors dialed him up, and he concluded he did not want his marchers to be subjected to months of giggles on tour... especially given the fact the show theme. music, staging, was an ever so serious theme with no humor to be derived  from its the Design, nor for the hoped for response from fans everywhere last summer. But that was last season. The Cadets are now chock full of new staffers & new marchers, and what occurred last season ( or previous seasons ) is all rear view mirror stuff now, and no big deal any more, imo

controversial? no. Amusing in a Cheech and Chong kind of way? Yes.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:17 AM, BRASSO said:

Even when factual data is demanded to " provide proof ", and then " the proof " is provided, a few posters on here then get mad that " the proof " was then posted as was demanded ( lol!)  Some people are just NEVER happy ( haha!)

As for " guessing something might have happened " as was said above, there is no " proof needed ". But a couple of posters aren't apparently satisfied with THAT reply either .  So yes, the board DOES tend to get " very quiet " when " proof is demanded " from a poster or two when guesswork and mere opinions are expressed from other posters ( haha!)

yes you gave proof. that you will argue anything into its molecular dust