Cone of silence

On 2/23/2017 at 8:17 PM, jwillis35 said:

Have not commented on this stuff in a while. Just a few observations from my point of view.

After Finals I had a feeling this was going to happen (media silence from the corps). Now in fairness, most drum corps offer little to nothing over the late fall, winter, and early spring. We are often lucky to get show ideas or repertoire. The Cadets were unusual by comparison to most. They were giving us loads of good audio/video clips. Regardless of what you think of their shows, it seemed they were taking to social media; and it also seemed they understood the average corps fan's need for a teaser, a sneak peak at what is to come.

My understanding is that they [Cadets] have not been able to oblige this year due to copyright issues. But other factors may be at play.  I suspect that with so many drum corps doing copyrighted music, and with what DCI is going through with legal rights and licensing (the old Fan Network) most units are deciding to not take a chance until they have shows in a more complete stage in addition to licensing, etc.

What I think people would love are warm-up clips, past songs or chorales, even stuff they are working up for encores. 

Only in a competitive market such as DCI (with its very closed infrastructure) would associated organizations ignore a market that if handled correctly could produce revenue. At some point these groups are going to realize that the entire year is a chance to build a fan base, to market and brand, and to potentially gain in revenue.  A few corps seemed to be on that path. Perhaps the licensing has scared everyone away.  But at some point I believe DCI and its' member corps need to learn how to take advantage of DCP, Twitter, FB, and other web services. Licensing is one thing, and competition is good and all; but it should not be a reason to hide everything about the off-season. Drum corps are not hiding secrets from the Russians, nor are they engaged in classified research. I believe it will change.

here's the counter.

last year, 2 days before the first show at LOS we learned the tunes the Bluecoats were doing. The day before we learned the show title.

Then on show day, they set the world on fire and ran with it all the way to a title. So how did it hurt them? Plus thru various media outlets, DCI and the corps themselves are putting out stuff from last season. My 4 year old daughter cant get enough of the finals warm up footage from inside the convention center. She tries to sing the first snare break of the show, even echoing the rim shot.

if she gets tired of that, it's the Thurston lick video. And christ we heard that lick from 1987-1999, but it never gets old.

so do we need to know? attendance is still going up.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

controversial? no. Amusing in a Cheech and Chong kind of way? Yes.

I know for a fact that several well heeled, long time Cadets donors were not " amused ".  He can read a financial monthly statement as well as any accountant. So he changed the name. He also went back to the 80 year Corps Colors after going out with the All Black. Donors wern't pleased with that decision either. Most Corps donors  ( all Corps )will put up with a lot in the " pushing of the envelope "... but you can't  push the envelope into a fire pit, and not expect the envelope to turn to ashes either. Fortunately, GH came to his senses before he got burned with the show's initial name, or caused his marchers to hear giggles all summer long with it.

Edited by BRASSO

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

here's the counter.

last year, 2 days before the first show at LOS we learned the tunes the Bluecoats were doing. The day before we learned the show title.

Then on show day, they set the world on fire and ran with it all the way to a title. So how did it hurt them? Plus thru various media outlets, DCI and the corps themselves are putting out stuff from last season. My 4 year old daughter cant get enough of the finals warm up footage from inside the convention center. She tries to sing the first snare break of the show, even echoing the rim shot.

if she gets tired of that, it's the Thurston lick video. And christ we heard that lick from 1987-1999, but it never gets old.

so do we need to know? attendance is still going up.

Correlation does not equal causation, my friend.

Mike

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 1:40 AM, BRASSO said:

I know for a fact that several well heeled, long time Cadets donors were not " amused ".  He can read a financial monthly statement as well as any accountant. So he changed the name. He also went back to the 80 year Corps Colors after going out with the All Black. Donors wern't pleased with that decision either. Most Corps donors  ( all Corps )will put up with a lot in the " pushing of the envelope "... but you can't  push the envelope into a fire pit, and not expect the envelope to turn to ashes either. Fortunately, GH came to his senses before he got burned with the show's initial name, or caused his marchers to hear giggles all summer long with it.

long time well heeled Cadet donors ##### about everything if it isnt the Cadet uniform. I know several and they ##### to #####

14 hours ago, MikeN said:

Correlation does not equal causation, my friend.

Mike

look i used to be like man, #####ing and moaning if i dont know the shows. Now, so many people are wrapped up in indoor, do they even have time to worry? We have 200+ pages of Cadets over speculation in March already.

I think the suspense is becoming a good thing. Why? Listing tunes means nothing. With mashups, you could only hear 6 bars of a tune. I've still yet to find Come Sail Away in BD last year and i've listened to it a zillion times.Let Wgi end, then start announcing once the licensing stuff is solved.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

long time well heeled Cadet donors ##### about everything if it isnt the Cadet uniform. I know several and they ##### to #####

I do not intend to use up my quotient of molecular dust arguing with you on this Cadets donors assessment, so I will accept your profanity laced assessment of the Cadets donors..

Edited by BRASSO

Almost halfway through March, roughly two months away from move-ins, we only have one finalist announcement and it's literally only a title. I'm getting awfully antsy. Not even any teasers (not including the Boston one since they ended up taking it down). Whennnnnnnnn