Cone of silence

I've heard nothing from any corps this winter. Some corps par for the course, others an abrupt shift in behavior. 

Are you more intrigued about a group when you've not been fed much or are you more dissatisfied with the lack of little vid clips here and there to get us through the long winter?

Im not sure which camp im in yet? My curiosity for Cadets is extremely high (yes homer) since they usually throw out stuff starting in Nov! 

I can understand the desire to keep the competitive product under wraps, but these corps virtually cut themselves off from the public for the majority of the year. It's simply ridiculous! Do they even understand social media?

• Like 1

I'm wondering if it builds up excitement for fans and even judges? BD, Bloo and Crown have been very reluctant to put stuff out pre season or even releasing show title and there are your medalists from 2016. Cadets had stuff out all winter and even broadcast from end of ST. You kind of have time to absorb and start to critique their show before season. I don't think it affects scores but the top 3 certainly hold things close to their vest until last min. Maybe don't want to air until misfires corrected or to build excitement?..

• Like 1

All it does is alienate me. Nine months of media blackout is shameful. I wonder what it costs a corps to attract and retain customers every year with this so-called marketing strategy.

• Like 2

There is no excuse for Corps not putting out videos of brass lines playing brass line fundamentals. They don't have to play show music, if they choose not too, and that silence for that can be justified for any number of reasons. But there is no excuse, imo, for not providing fans with the brass line playing non show music ( or encore music, or their Corps song(s) ). No excuse. None. None whatsoever, imo. Same with Percussion. There is no excuse to not have videos of the drumlines playing some frundamentals. Heck, they put out these parking lot videos of the drumlines doing fundamentals during the summer competition season, don't they ? But who needs it then ? So this Cone of Silence 40-41 weeks out of the 52 weeks of the year is no way to keep its small fan base engaged, and not a formula to grow a fan base either. Its ridiculous, and frankly no excuse not to provide the DCI fanbase videos of non show music and non show drumming in the winter months.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It will probably come down to $$$. We're playing the show opener and will send link only to donors who send in $$ between now and next wed at midnight.  Well we know one corps that would do that.

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

I've heard nothing from any corps this winter. Some corps par for the course, others an abrupt shift in behavior. 

Are you more intrigued about a group when you've not been fed much or are you more dissatisfied with the lack of little vid clips here and there to get us through the long winter?

Im not sure which camp im in yet? My curiosity for Cadets is extremely high (yes homer) since they usually throw out stuff starting in Nov! 

I've complained about this very issue myself...I actually used The Cadets as my example in the past to argue in favor for corps to share more content..albeit less about the show itself...there is so much "ancillary content" that can be shared IMO...this has nothing to do with the show itself...the corps are definitely unconventional with their approach to modern day social media...What is the root cause or reasoning to not share in the first place? I sure can't figure that out... :huh:

"

I think it's ridiculous that people are complaining that corps aren't putting out a lot of information out this year and getting all butt-hurt about it. 

Some corps (Cadets) put out WAY TOO MUCH information in the off-season. Personally, I'm glad many corps are taking the silent approach. I find it the first showing more exciting that way. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

I think it's ridiculous that people are complaining that corps aren't putting out a lot of information out this year and getting all butt-hurt about it. 

Some corps (Cadets) put out WAY TOO MUCH information in the off-season. Personally, I'm glad many corps are taking the silent approach. I find it the first showing more exciting that way. 

People today are so numb to any and ALL information , I think we forget that if a a group chooses to put their info out there for all to bite on and at times with out mercy a critique before even seeing that's great. Does anyone owe this to anyone. No.

• Like 2