Cone of silence

Every youth competitive sport or activity that is growing teams and fans keeps their fans engaged in the offseason with videos of the competitors, teams.

DCI 's silence is a wonderful model to show other activities precisely what NOT to do as a model for potential growth.

Noone so far on here has told us the harm that will occur to any Corps that suddenly decides to come out of their winter caves and play some non show music or non show drumming. If a poster or two can cite 3 or 4 harmful things that might occur, we'd be all ears. But the fact of the matter is, there are no harmful things that could occur, imo. So... absent such a listing of potential harm, there frankly is no excuse for not showing videos of non show music, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Every youth competitive sport or activity that is growing teams and fans keeps their fans engaged in the offseason with videos of the competitors, teams.

DCI 's silence is a wonderful model to show other activities precisely what NOT to do as a model for potential growth.

Noone so far on here has told us the harm that will occur to any Corps that suddenly decides to come out of their winter caves and play some non show music or non show drumming. If a poster or two can cite 3 or 4 harmful things that might occur, we'd be all ears. But the fact of the matter is, there are no harmful things that could occur, imo. So... absent such a listing of potential harm, there frankly is no excuse for not showing videos of non show music, imo.

There may be no excuse, but there's also no reason for any of us to expect that they release information on the offseason. No one owes us anything except during the season when we actually PAY to see these shows. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

There may be no excuse, but there's also no reason for any of us to expect that they release information on the offseason. No one owes us anything except during the season when we actually PAY to see these shows. 

Exactly. When a corps chooses to give us something that's great ( and I'm all for it as long as they decided this ) BUT all it's led to is entitlement for some and at times a vicious critique before it's even on the field.

Does this mean everyone does this? ( critique ) of course not  . I don't see the big deal either way as long as the corps chooses it.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

. No one owes us anything except during the season when we actually PAY to see these shows. 

Corps for DECADES provided fans videos of their winter practices. And guess what ? These Corps back then did not " owe us anything " back then either. But they were transparent, gracious, and we fans appreciated that. We fans don't owe the Siliencers anything either in the offseason, lest we forget as well. This is about playing something in the offseasons that Corps did for decades and without any negative consequences to them whatsoever.

I wouldn't be oppose a little more stuff that isn't necessarily show material but then again there isn't a ton of stuff going on.  After the season is over til around November/December there certainly isn't much of anything, and then from January to about April really it's just a camp a month where they rehearse in a gym piecing together the show.  Cadets might have seemingly done a lot in previous years but isn't that about all that's really going on?  

When we get closer to the season corps like Blue Devils and Bluecoats do some great weekly or so videos that don't really give much in the show details category but just some hey here's how it's going stuff.  

I personally enjoy some time away from the activity in the winter months especially.  After finals I'm pretty hungover for lack of a better term of spending 3 or so months of my year immersed in every detail of the drum corps activity and watching the shows many many times.  Around April or so I'm ready for it again, May we start getting some tastes, and then in June we go at it again.  

Edited by DrumManTx

When the Cadets were perennial medalists ( not that long ago, right ? ) they gave us lots of videos in the winter of the Corps playing both brass and percussion... including SHOW music. ' Didn't hurt them in the least. If it did, GH would have scrapped it altogether years ago. The Cadets in 2011 preseason gave us their entire musical show in early May in street clothes in a video for heavens sake. Guess what ? They won themselves a DCI Title with over an 98 score that summer. So its a bunch of hooey this Cone of Silence must keep fans in the dark now until the 1st show in June, or what ?   something bad will happen ? Gimme a break. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind some little clips here and there but was I the only one sick of The Cadets shows by around mid July the last few years?  Not because of the shows themselves in any way but I feel like by the time summer hit I already knew them inside and out because they gave away so much.  

Like many things balance is key.  

36 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

This is BS

I would pay a subscription for content...we don't even get that..well perhaps I'm not familiar that that even exists...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2