Cone of silence

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Seems I'm in the middle on this one.  I don't want to know a ton about the show prior to the first performance but I still wouldn't mind some updates.  

I think there's no wrong either way...a corps choice..I get the reasons for those wanting to do this and those who don't

When the Cadets did their entire musical show in street clothes in preseason in 2011, I was not impressed, and said as much here on DCP after the webcast. A few others said " not impressed " as well. Some however, liked what they heard, and said here on DCP how they really liked the music. Others were non committal. So the responses ran the gamut here on DCP. But did these reviews mean anything come August ? No. As a matter of fact, my review was turned on its head, once I saw the outstanding visuals with its duality created with " Between Angels and Demons ". Once the guard was integrated into the show as well, the show took on a whole new life. By then I loved the show that I had not in preseason, when only the show music was heard. The Cadets scored over a 98 in capturing their 2011 DCI Title. So the Cadets lost nothing... not a thing... by playing their show music in a standstill video in the preseason for us fans. And finally, I'm not asking for entire show music to be played in preseason videos as was the case in 2011. Here in 2017, I think most fans would appreciate the Corps throwing us a bone with the simple playing now of just non show music. That's how easy we are now in our reduced requests.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Corps for DECADES provided fans videos of their winter practices. And guess what ? These Corps back then did not " owe us anything " back then either. But they were transparent, gracious, and we fans appreciated that. We fans don't owe the Siliencers anything either in the offseason, lest we forget as well. This is about playing something in the offseasons that Corps did for decades and without any negative consequences to them whatsoever.

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

When the Cadets were perennial medalists ( not that long ago, right ? ) they gave us lots of videos in the winter of the Corps playing both brass and percussion... including SHOW music. ' Didn't hurt them in the least. If it did, GH would have scrapped it altogether years ago. The Cadets in 2011 preseason gave us their entire musical show in early May in street clothes in a video for heavens sake. Guess what ? They won themselves a DCI Title with over an 98 score that summer. So its a bunch of hooey this Cone of Silence must keep fans in the dark now until the 1st show in June, or what ?   something bad will happen ? Gimme a break. ( lol!)

Personally, I think many of you are being selfish. Just because they did it in the past doesn't mean they HAVE to do it. Geez, not everything is about you all the time. Too many people on here think they're owed something. You're really not owed anything until you go pay to see the show. 

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

This is BS

I would pay a subscription for content...we don't even get that..well perhaps I'm not familiar that that even exists...

No, what's BS is all the b*tching and complaining about something that is neither promised nor guaranteed to you.  As a matter of fact, I hope many of these corps continue to do this just to see how many lengths some of you will go in order to spite them for not satisfying your curiosities. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Personally, I think many of you are being selfish. Just because they did it in the past doesn't mean they HAVE to do it. Geez, not everything is about you all the time. Too many people on here think they're owed something. You're really not owed anything until you go pay to see the show. 

No, what's BS is all the b*tching and complaining about something that is neither promised nor guaranteed to you.  As a matter of fact, I hope many of these corps continue to do this just to see how many lengths some of you will go in order to spite them for not satisfying your curiosities. 

I didn't start the conversation about it...I'm not complaining about show music...I'm just commenting that the fan disconnect is STUPID. what is this 1980?

Edited by Liahona

This is fun. Sort of. Why do so many people assume their own preferences and reactions to things must then be projected as true more generally to the larger population? 

11 hours ago, Liahona said:

I've complained about this very issue myself...I actually used The Cadets as my example in the past to argue in favor for corps to share more content..albeit less about the show itself...there is so much "ancillary content" that can be shared IMO...this has nothing to do with the show itself...the corps are definitely unconventional with their approach to modern day social media...What is the root cause or reasoning to not share in the first place? I sure can't figure that out... :huh:

"

Hearing some updates from camp, I think the issue is mostly licensing issues for Cadets which should be cleared up very soon. They are doing a full run of the entire musical program today but no recording just yet. I agree with BRASSO however that just some clips of musical exercises or non show music would be appreciated so I think Cadets also rethought their past behavior of off season releases. Maybe new staff members are more secretive. Anyhow a strong winter in Cadetland. Can't wait to hear SOMETHING.

9 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Personally, I think many of you are being selfish. Just because they did it in the past doesn't mean they HAVE to do it. Geez, not everything is about you all the time. Too many people on here think they're owed something.

The Corps don't owe us anything. In the offseason, we fans don't owe them anything either . Some of us it should be pointed out however, volunteer freely with our time and energy to help out at their camps, rather than camp out on here all offseason, and attack other fans for " being selfish " . The irony and the hypocrisy of the DCP'er campers who call us " selfish " on here is not lost on those of us that do volunteer freely with our time and energy in the offseason at Corps camps either 2000Cadet.

Edited by BRASSO