Season Two: Clash of the Corps

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

Regardless of which corps they opt to follow, the producers need to figure out who they want as their audience.  IMO, they tried to walk the line between the drum corps audience and the MTV crowd and the show ended up unfocused and jumbled.  

Same by age but different profiles...but I agree with you concerning DCI oriiented and non-DCI oriented viewing audiences

"Profile: Fuse is the nation’s only all-music, viewer-influenced network featuring music videos, exclusive artist interviews and live concerts and specials that are rooted specifically in the music experience. From music to movies to fashion to technology, Fuse’s trend-setting audiences are always way ahead of the curve."

Their targeting demographic is educated, tech-savvy 12-34 y/o...

"Profile: MTV is the music authority where young adults turn to find out what’s happening and what’s next in music and popular culture. It defines generations with a connection to music through groundbreaking and inclusive youth-oriented programming, and a showcase of up-and-coming artists and music videos."

Their targeting demographic is all ages 12-34 with median of 21 y/o...

edit: adding MTV2 

"Profile: MTV2 is a unique, interactive and seamless combination of music, gaming and rogue programming. The network’s fast-paced style creates a dynamic environment filled with music videos, strange but captivating original shows, and some of the most random clips scoured from the Internet, old B-movies and the public service dustbin." 12-24 y/o

Edited by Liahona
added MTV2

The "clash" idea just doesn't seem to work. More than that, it's unrealistic - targeting in advance a season-long competitive tug-of-war between just two corps. Following two corps and contrasting their strategies, personalities, experiences, and performances seems fine and interesting enough. And if that were the case, it could be any two corps of interest - BD and The Academy; SCV and Cavies; Crown and Scouts. Etc. Plenty of contrasting story lines no matter who they choose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

The "clash" idea just doesn't seem to work. More than that, it's unrealistic - targeting in advance a season-long competitive tug-of-war between just two corps. Following two corps and contrasting their strategies, personalities, experiences, and performances seems fine and interesting enough. And if that were the case, it could be any two corps of interest - BD and The Academy; SCV and Cavies; Crown and Scouts. Etc. Plenty of contrasting story lines no matter who they choose.

This is interesting.

DCI's definition of a "winner" also defines how the finances are distributed according to their own payout formula.  So it's inherent that DCI would favor a focus on the competition.  If the show has no "winner" then there is really not a competition and, taken to its extent, the payout structure's definition of "value" would be changed at its core.  Suddenly, winning has no greater impact on payout as other factors that are shown on the screen, say, quality of experience, or mission focus...  So many ways to define a winner; DCI's is financially-based.  

Maybe a TV show that neglects the competition is not in the best interest of those making the decisions about what or who ends up on the video.

Edited by garfield
core, not corps

Well that's awesome. Wasn't a huge fan of the show, but definitely am a huge fan of the opportunities this continues to create for the activity.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

Same by age but different profiles...but I agree with you concerning DCI oriiented and non-DCI oriented viewing audiences

"Profile: Fuse is the nation’s only all-music, viewer-influenced network featuring music videos, exclusive artist interviews and live concerts and specials that are rooted specifically in the music experience. From music to movies to fashion to technology, Fuse’s trend-setting audiences are always way ahead of the curve."

Their targeting demographic is educated, tech-savvy 12-34 y/o...

That profile is dated. They haven't been all-music since merging with Nuvo 1.5 years ago. They are now "refocused to feature original music, comedy, culture, and lifestyle programming."

I think they are mostly targeting the same demo, but the description is no-longer valid to Fuse. 

• Like 1

I only saw two episodes. I hear they didn't put Cadets in a good light.  That saddens me.  I Respect the Cadets a lot.  

I hope they do a positive feel on it.  I enjoyed seeing a different corps perspective as all I have ever known is BD.