Season Two: Clash of the Corps

12 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I also hope there won't be any crummy stock music substituted for show music.

As with the DVDs, this is a licensing issue....although it falls to the show producers to deal with, not DCI or the corps involved.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:38 PM, George Dixon said:

So cue the chat about which corps will be featured. I say either BD and SCV or BD and Bluecoats

I agree with this, BD and SCV are the corps that are on the biggest spot this year.

Here are some complaints I had with the show...

1- Adverisments. The ads I saw for CotC were horrid. They looked like off-brand drum corps. There was a snare drummer with gloves... The least they could do is borrow a uniform and take pictures in that and get some input from someone who actually knows about drum corps. 

2- Storyline. I suppose the storyline was okay for people who knew nothing about the activity, but not for me. The "love stories" and the "anexiety issues" didn't really appeal to me. It didn't capture the grueling 12 hour rehearsal blocks. I can understand that this would be difficult to make appealing, but it should represent what drum corps is really about instead of the trials and tribulations of a few individuals. 

3- Music. Like someone said earlier, there was crappy stock music in place of actual music. I personally think it'd be cool if all of the music was taken from previous drum corps shows. I can understand why they can't, but if they could, that'd be great. 

4- Performances. Drum corps is mainly about working an entire summer to perfect a 12 minute show. With that being said, I was extremely surprised by the exposure (or lack thereof) the actual performances got. I think the longest time a part of a show was shown was a couple seconds... It'd be great if they could air the entire shows the corps perform, but again, I would understand if they don't. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Here are some complaints I had with the show...

1- Adverisments. The ads I saw for CotC were horrid. They looked like off-brand drum corps. There was a snare drummer with gloves... The least they could do is borrow a uniform and take pictures in that and get some input from someone who actually knows about drum corps. 

2- Storyline. I suppose the storyline was okay for people who knew nothing about the activity, but not for me. The "love stories" and the "anexiety issues" didn't really appeal to me. It didn't capture the grueling 12 hour rehearsal blocks. I can understand that this would be difficult to make appealing, but it should represent what drum corps is really about instead of the trials and tribulations of a few individuals. 

3- Music. Like someone said earlier, there was crappy stock music in place of actual music. I personally think it'd be cool if all of the music was taken from previous drum corps shows. I can understand why they can't, but if they could, that'd be great. 

4- Performances. Drum corps is mainly about working an entire summer to perfect a 12 minute show. With that being said, I was extremely surprised by the exposure (or lack thereof) the actual performances got. I think the longest time a part of a show was shown was a couple seconds... It'd be great if they could air the entire shows the corps perform, but again, I would understand if they don't. 

Producers of a reality show are not looking at their show the same was the typical drum corps fan would. They're marketing to a larger audience that doesn't know the same things as you, such as the snare player with gloves.

It was also a 10 episode, 30 minute show so there's only so much depth of the actual drum corps experience they are going to be able to touch, while trying to keep an audience of people that know very little, if anything about the marching arts.

I do see your point though, which is why I didn't watch much of it. However, I know people that did that are not invested in the activity and are now curious and considering attending shows, which in that way did its job.

Edited by tesmusic

I cannot fathom any reason this pile o' self-indulgent poo needs to come back. It was absolutely wretched and unwatchable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wallace said:

I cannot fathom any reason this pile o' self-indulgent poo needs to come back. It was absolutely wretched and unwatchable.

Which may be why Jim Coates flung it to BD and Cadets. He didn't want CC known as The Poo Coates.

• Like 1

Not to say that it's not "classy" but Vanguard is too classy to do this show.  They have the most integrity of any drum corps.  I have the highest regard for them.  We Blue Devils owe it all to them for showing us the way.  and the Troopers too.  I always wear a little SCV swag when I put on my  BD jacket.

• Like 2

I think I fall into the "dinosaur" fan range at this point, and honestly, I rather enjoyed the show.  I hope they do get to do another.  I even didn't have problems with the format - I get why they did what they did, and it didn't bother me at all.  I even managed to learn some things about both corps I never knew. 

Here's hoping...

Mike