Who will move up next?

Now that Genesis has made the leap to WC, who will take their place in the OC finals?  And which OC corps is best positioned for a WC jump next?  There are some OC corps that appear to be growing and improving very quickly.  Exciting few years coming up for OC...

• Like 1

I've been wondering the same thing - glad you got this started!

Leaving out Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets because, as I understand it, as feeder corps they can't move up into World Class and compete against BDA and SCV - my top two guesses are:

Legends - 3rd place win last year, very professional-looking website, look like they are preparing for an upward move - and they have an ambitious touring schedule this year with 22 competitions.

Music City - 6th place last year, also has a great website - and they have an ambitious touring schedule this year with 20 competitions.  I will also note that MC does a fine job keeping family & friends in the loop with monthly videos of camps and lots of photos on their Facebook page from monthly camps.  Very smart of them to keep their fan base engaged.

Yes, I know that the Spartans edged out Music City last year with a 5th place win, but I was surprised to see that they are only participating in 12 competitions this year.  May not be their time to move up yet.  And I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Leaving out Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets because, as I understand it, as feeder corps they can't move up into World Class and compete against BDA and SCV -

Well, that is clearly not true.  It happens every year on Thursday/Friday of DCI week.

What is the real reason these two corps, who have sat at the top of open class for 9 years now, do not move up?

Gonna go with a wild card here...

It's gonna be the Guardians.

• Like 1

My two cents, based on watching OC pretty closely the last 2 years and going to slot of OC shows:

Ready to jump now:  Legends - full corps who did a national tour last year and has consistently appeared at semis.  Good leadership, strong program.

Ready in a few years:  Music City, solid show last year, appears to be  a well run educational program on the move.  Hope that baritone soloist is back!

Ready in 5 years:  LA Stars, 7th Regiment, perhaps Guardians ( who appear to have grown a lot in this off season).

Spartans certainly have had quality shows, but doesn't seem like they are really interested in a national stage...

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, that is clearly not true.  It happens every year on Thursday/Friday of DCI week.

What is the real reason these two corps, who have sat at the top of open class for 9 years now, do not move up?

I wasn't clear in what I said - sorry!   I know that they can compete at World Class finals - and I'm a newbie to drum corps so I obviously need educating.  From reading through MANY posts on this website, I have gotten the impression that although they can compete in finals, for some reason - their bylaws maybe? - they can't apply or be invited to become a World Class corps.  That seems unfair to me because they are obviously good enough to be a World Class corps.  Like you, I would like to know the real reason that they do not move up. 

Probably the reason that SCVC and BDB (not to mention BDC and Colt Cadets) don't apply for World Class status is that their parent organizations are perfectly happy having corps with different missions operating at different levels.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Spartans certainly have had quality shows, but doesn't seem like they are really interested in a national stage.

It wasn't so very long that Spartans were the dominant O.C. corps, beating BDB and SCVC many times in the mid 2000s.

• Like 3

Not the specifics, but it was probably economic; I think they took a year off during the Great Recession.