Creative or highly effective funding mechanisms

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

.  For example, if it was suggested that a corps was able to raise a plethora of funds via human-child trafficking,, one could say that logically it is a creative way to fund the corps. 

Exactly. It indeed would be true as it would be " creative"... " novel "... and would indeed likely increase revenue streams for the Corps. All true. The fact it is illegal, abhorant, would not work long term, etc is likewise " true ". The fact also that some methods are laughable and funny ( like " robbing banks " ) and unfunny " child trafficking " does not diminish that both are " novel"... and " creative " methods to raise additional funds for a Corps.. Now that we have gone however now from the sublime to the ridiculous here on this with you ( lol!), do you simply like to ague for the sake of arguing here( lol!) ?... as up to now on this thread, you have not come up with a single solitary idea for us readers... even in jest... that provides a " creative, novel" idea for Corps to increase their revenue streams. Not a single idea. You just seem instead like a jaded poster that is hellbent on attacking me for MY ideas of what successful Corps like Spartans, Boston are doing presently ( stated above by me ), but offer us readers a nothing sandwich on any ideas that YOU have that we can praise with hosannas, or dissect, throw mud on, ridicule,, etc... lol!. You got anything creative and novel in the corps fund raising realm, Stu that we should consider ?,.. or are you just only in the mood to attack others for THEIR attempt at providing  input on this thread to the OP's question posed for us ?.... lol!

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Exactly. It indeed would be true as it would be " creative"... " novel "... and would  raise revenue for the Corps. All true. The fact it is illegal, abhorant, would not work long term, is likewise " true ". The fact that some methods are laughable and funny ( like " robbing banks " ) and unfunny " child trafficking " does not diminish that both are " novel"... and " creative " methods to raise additional funds for a Corps.. Now that we have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous here, do you like to ague for the sake of arguing here'' lol! ?... as up to now on this thread, you have not come up with a single solitary idea... even in jest... that provides a " creative, novel" idea for Corps to increase their revenue streams. Not a single idea. You just seem like a poster that is hellbent on attacking me for MY ideas of what successful Corps like Spartans, Boston are doing presently, but offer us readers a nothing sandwich on any ideas that YOU have that we can dissect, throw mud on, ridicule,, etc... lol!. You got anything that's  " creative and new " Stu, or are you just in the mood to attack others for THEIR attempt at providing  input on this thread to the OP's question posed for us ?.... lol!

Not attacking; not making this personal; just noting that it is upholding self-serving ideas which are separated from ethical standards in order to further their own agendas is what got Sutton thrown in the pokey and the G7 directors thrown off the DCI Board.  And to me that is neither 'novel' nor 'creative'.  Addendum: If your mindset is reflected by the leaderships of the 7 who authored and signed the document, that certainly would explain a lot.

To the point of ethics, you'd have to include that in a cost/benefit analysis. Example: for my business capstone class (wow, that was a while ago now) I made a case for selling drugs being an effective business strategy. My teacher brought up ethics and legality, and I countered with the benefits enjoyed by not having to pay taxes on my sales. (For clarification, I don't/didn't actually sell drugs). I got an A.

My point being, in everything a business does, you have to ask the important question: Is the juice worth the squeeze?

• Like 1

Also back to the topic, two more ideas.

1) Remodel space within a corps hall as private practice rooms. Then market these practice halls as private lesson space, so individuals in the community who give private lessons can do so from a dedicated location. Helps to strengthen the ties to the local music education community, and adds an additional revenue stream.

2) Depending on interest level from the community (current marching band members, local former/current drum corps members), host quarterly or monthly Drum Corps Movie Nights. With a big enough TV, a good sound system and lots of food/drink, it would be a fun opportunity to bring the old Classic Countdown model to a more localized level. Charge for food and drink plus a door price.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

: If your mindset is reflected by the leaderships of the 7 who authored and signed the document, that certainly would explain a lot.

Perhaps it would " explain a lot" to YOU, but I have no idea what in H you are referring too here, as anybody here on DCP that has even remotely followed my posts during the G7 period of 2010 knows full well my thoughts re. the G7 scheme... lol!

19 hours ago, ouooga said:

Does anyone know how to return money that's been robbed from a bank without getting in trouble?

Yes. Send it to me and I'll spend it figure it out.  :tongue:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ouooga said:

Does anyone know how to return money that's been robbed from a bank without getting in trouble? Asking for a friend.....

I highly recommend a movie that was released last year, Hell or High Water, starring Chris Pine, Ben Foster, and Jeff Bridges.

14 hours ago, Stu said:

For example, if it was suggested that a corps was able to raise a plethora of funds via human-child trafficking, and you separated it from all other human laws and ethics, one could say that logically it is a creative way to fund the corps.

It's funny reading about this (and bank robbery) here, since I popped into this thread to ask if any corps had looked into Russian money laundering. I heard about this American guy who bought a mansion for $41 million and then a few years later sold it to a Russian kakistocrat for $95 million; the Russian dude never even visited the property and has since torn the place down. Maybe if DCI and all the corps pool their funds together, they can buy something else that would appeal as a cash sink to the "fertilizer king" or someone of that ilk, and thus more than double their investment. Although the American did end up giving a job to one of the Russian's business partners, so maybe DCI should be prepared to offer, say, a judging slot.

Then we can make jokes about "the Russian judge" like they do in figure skating!

Edited by N.E. Brigand

26 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's funny reading this (and bank robbery) here, since I popped into this thread to ask if any corps had looked into Russian money laundering. I heard about this American guy who bought a mansion for $41 million and then a few years later sold it to a Russian kakistocrat for $95 million; the Russian dude never even visited the property and has since torn the place down. Maybe if DCI and all the corps pool their funds together, they can buy something else that would appeal as a cash sink to the "fertilizer king" or someone of that ilk, and thus more than double their investment. Although the American did end up giving a job to one of the Russian's business partners, so maybe DCI should be prepared to offer, say, a judging slot.

Then we can make jokes about "the Russian judge" like they do in figure skating!

What do you mean "funny"?  Like how, "funny"?  Like I'm a funny guy, Ha-Ha, "funny"?  Or funny like I look funny?  Or maybe funny like you're laughing AT me, "funny"?  (Pulling a .45 out of my waistband).  Or maybe you meant that it's "funny" how I wave my little friend around here, and how it might be funny if BANG, I kneecap you now "funny".

Can't you tell there's a very SERIOUS argument going on between Brasso and Stu?  What do you mean "funny"?

(/sarcasm and insert :lle:)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

What do you mean "funny"?  Like how, "funny"?  Like I'm a funny guy, Ha-Ha, "funny"?  Or funny like I look funny?  Or maybe funny like you're laughing AT me, "funny"?  (Pulling a .45 out of my waistband).  Or maybe you meant that it's "funny" how I wave my little friend around here, and how it might be funny if BANG, I kneecap you now "funny".

Can't you tell there's a very SERIOUS argument going on between Brasso and Stu?  What do you mean "funny"?

(/sarcasm and insert :lle:)

Another great movie. But you don't look a thing like Joe Pesci.

• Like 1