Creative or highly effective funding mechanisms

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

So far on this thread ? No. Everything that's been mentioned as ideas on this thread for several pages now has been done before, as near as I can tell from my readings of all the ideas mentioned here.

Whether or not they've been done is not the question.  The question is whether they are creative or highly effective.

It didn't even say creative AND highly effective.  Creative and failed works, too, as would not too creative but highly effective.

• Like 1

Has everyone here seen those "sign-spinners" out in front of strip malls trying to get you to stop in and buy puppies or discount appliances or rent an apartment?  I wonder how much more effective a full color guard would be - and how much they could earn - if they did a "rehearsal" out in front of the store with a banner for the store? 

Get paid to rehearse?

Not too creative, I know...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, garfield said:

No, this is not right.  While the facts you present are true, it is not true to state that the present-day corps shares anything at all than a history with those earlier versions.

And you may not have considered that a current day corps (not necessarily OC) might want to intentionally sever ties with past leaders and/or programs specifically to start fresh.

Those first iterations were not successful, which pretty much shoots holes in your premise anyway.

A current day corps might want to start afresh and not want to publicly recognize the past, but they cannot 'change' the past.  Here is a football example: While Art Modell moved his team to Baltimore and called the fresh start team the Ravens they cannot sever ties to their Cleveland Browns past; nor can the current Cleveland Browns because they chose to take on the franchise name of the Cleveland Browns as well as kept the Dawg Pound atmosphere.  The past can be ignored, but it cannot be altered.

Halloween pop-up stores:

What does a pop-up store need?  A storefront.  A team of adults to run it profitably and be responsible.  And an army of kids to unload the trailer, keep the shelves stocked, and clean up each night.  Drum corps already have two of the three.

What's the most expensive thing about running a pop-up store?  The labor.  Big savings using MM's feeding their tour fees.

I wonder if a Board could contract to run a pop-up store?

This idea obviously works if you have local MM's willing to work.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

A current day corps might want to start afresh and not want to publicly recognize the past, but they cannot 'change' the past.  Here is a football example: While Art Modell moved his team to Baltimore and called the fresh start team the Ravens they cannot sever ties to their Cleveland Browns past; nor can the current Cleveland Browns because they chose to take on the franchise name of the Cleveland Browns as well as kept the Dawg Pound atmosphere.  The past can be ignored, but it cannot be altered.

By your logic, if I were to start a corps a name it Star of Indiana, we'd have a higher likelihood of success then, right?

56 minutes ago, garfield said:

Halloween pop-up stores:

What does a pop-up store need?  A storefront.  A team of adults to run it profitably and be responsible.  And an army of kids to unload the trailer, keep the shelves stocked, and clean up each night.  Drum corps already have two of the three.

What's the most expensive thing about running a pop-up store?  The labor.  Big savings using MM's feeding their tour fees.

I wonder if a Board could contract to run a pop-up store?

This idea obviously works if you have local MM's willing to work.

Pop-up fireworks stands are really popular out here in the summer as fundraisers for local bands. I see no reason why the Halloween model wouldn't work for drum corps.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Has everyone here seen those "sign-spinners" out in front of strip malls trying to get you to stop in and buy puppies or discount appliances or rent an apartment?  I wonder how much more effective a full color guard would be - and how much they could earn - if they did a "rehearsal" out in front of the store with a banner for the store? 

Get paid to rehearse?

No too creative, I know...

Using your existing resources to raise funds. I absolutely love this idea.

3 hours ago, ouooga said:

By your logic, if I were to start a corps a name it Star of Indiana, we'd have a higher likelihood of success then, right?

Wrong! Shear name does not bring success. For example: The Cleveland Browns in 1948 went 14 - 0 and won the AAFC Championship Game; also won the AAFC Championships in 1947, 48, and 49; won the NFL Championships in 1950, 54, and 55, and 64; and won many NFL Conference and Divisional Championships.  In 2016, the 'new incarnation' of the Cleveland Browns went 1 - 15.  And look at how the new incarnation of the Velvet Knights dishonored the competitive legacy of the original VK.  So again, a name does not equate to competitive success.

Edited by Stu

5 hours ago, Stu said:

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wrong! Shear name does not bring success. For example: The Cleveland Browns in 1948 went 14 - 0 and won the AAFC Championship Game; also won the AAFC Championships in 1947, 48, and 49; won the NFL Championships in 1950, 54, and 55, and 64; and won many NFL Conference and Divisional Championships.  In 2016, the 'new incarnation' of the Cleveland Browns went 1 - 15.  And look at how the new incarnation of the Velvet Knights dishonored the competitive legacy of the original VK.  So again, a name does not equate to competitive success.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally trying to disagree with yourself, or if you're implying names carry failures but not successes.