Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

3 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Get back to housing sites earlier, which ultimately results in more floor time.  

Most of the shows I attend are located near shopping centers with CVS and fast food restaurants, and most the kids seem to shop, eat, and congregate, and those who stay behind have their snack, so whether the DM's are in attendance for the scores probably won't make too much of a difference in sleep time. A corps that does leave early still had their DM remain and he/she will go home with the souvenir truck.

• Like 1

My experience in the past has been that the corps waiting around after the show were the result of critique in many cases, which usually took far longer that scores being read.  Don't they still have critique?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, craiga said:

My experience in the past has been that the corps waiting around after the show were the result of critique in many cases, which usually took far longer that scores being read.  Don't they still have critique?

Only until around San Antonio.  Then retreats end for the year.  they continue throughout the season for Open Class, as their tour is later/shorter.

I can see why face-value this seems reasonable.  Even at "big" shows,  at least half the crowd leaves after the last corps because they get scores instantly online.   But will corps really be able to leave earlier?  If they stay for critique the answer is no.  

But I think it's bad for members of corps actually depart immediately after performing.  Post-performance time is really valuable to them.  Seeing other corps, seeing family and friends,  heck even walking to a nearby fast food joint.  Those are ALL important "breaks" in the daily grind.

And.. it they're not gonna leave early... you might as well keep at least a small fraction of the retreat ceremony with a DM-only retreat.  If they want the crowd to stay,  don't release scores online until 60 minutes after retreat :ninja: 

56 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I can see why face-value this seems reasonable.  Even at "big" shows,  at least half the crowd leaves after the last corps because they get scores instantly online.   But will corps really be able to leave earlier?  If they stay for critique the answer is no.  

But I think it's bad for members of corps actually depart immediately after performing.  Post-performance time is really valuable to them.  Seeing other corps, seeing family and friends,  heck even walking to a nearby fast food joint.  Those are ALL important "breaks" in the daily grind.

And.. it they're not gonna leave early... you might as well keep at least a small fraction of the retreat ceremony with a DM-only retreat.  If they want the crowd to stay,  don't release scores online until 60 minutes after retreat :ninja: 

Many corps set up a snack time afterward...I would think if you are performing near dinner hour...a later snack might be more desirable than eating just before performing...or even if corps eat at both times...the amount of calories these kids need by the energy they expend in a single day is phenomenal...

4 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Many corps set up a snack time afterward...I would think if you are performing near dinner hour...a later snack might be more desirable than eating just before performing...or even if corps eat at both times...the amount of calories these kids need by the energy they expend in a single day is phenomenal...

I wasn't referring to "snack break" -- just a break from the daily routine.    When every day is so structured,  little things can take on large importance.  That said - I agree with all you say.    

Edited by corpsband

4 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Am I the only one that is still waiting to hear an announcement before I actually think it's happening?

Has anyone personally confirmed this news?  I did say that I had not confirmed it in my original post...although it sounded credible to me...

Just now, corpsband said:

I wasn't referring to "snack break" -- just a break from the daily routine.    When your every day is so structured,  little things can take on large importance.  That said - I agree with all you say.    

It just happened to be something I thought about after reading your post...and yes I realize you were referring to something completely different...

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Has anyone personally confirmed this news?  I did say that I had not confirmed it in my original post...although it sounded credible to me...

To me it seems like something that would have been announced by now, if true.

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

How about the next day? LOL