Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

How about the next day? LOL

Incidentally, regarding the issue of time, score announcements with DM's only retreats tends to take WAY longer than they should in my experience over the years. I mean, how long should it really take to tabulate the scores, move the decimal points, and get the scores out to the audience in a timely manner ? As slowly as it does ? I don't think so. They could move things along more swiftly, imo. Some of these local shows are during the workweek, and many in the audience have jobs and need to get up early for work. DCI needs to keep this into account, imo.. get the scores out more quickly. MLB ran into a PR issue, as their games were taking longer than necessary..... and one final comment on the time issue..... look, I love the Troopers. Love their traditions and all that, but JeezMaryJo, they need to ditch this " slow walk " by the Troopers DM to get in retreat line with the other DM's. Its time to bury that schtick, as most people have seen his " slow walk " schtick a kazillion times now with the Troopers DM, and most people ( imo ) would rather get the scores more quickly now ( if they're  still in the stadium ) and get outta there, and back on the road.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Incidentally, regarding the issue of time, score announcements with DM's only retreats tends to take WAY longer than they should in my experience over the years. I mean, how long should it really take to tabulate the scores, move the decimal points, and get the scores out to the audience in a timely manner ? As slowly as it does ? I don't think so. They could move things along more swiftly, imo. Some of these local shows are during the workweek, and many in the audience have jobs and need to get up early for work. DCI needs to keep this into account, imo.. get the scores out more quickly. MLB ran into a PR issue, as their games were taking longer than necessary..... and one final comment on the time issue..... look, I love the Troopers. Love their traditions and all that, but JeezMaryJo, they need to ditch this " slow walk " by the Troopers DM to get in retreat line with the other DM's. Its time to bury that schtick, as most people have seen his " slow walk " schtick a kazillion times now with the Troopers DM, and most people ( imo ) would rather get the scores more quickly now ( if they're  still in the stadium ) and get outta there, and back on the road.

I would think scores are tabulated electronically now, and if they are not, it can be done rather easily for someone with basic Microsoft Excel ability. 

Regarding the Troopers DM saunter, is that an old tradition? I only remember seeing it in recent years and the folks I sat with in Allentown, some of whom marched at the time Troopers were in their glory did not remember it from back in the day. Perhaps it took place and I didn't notice. 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I would think scores are tabulated electronically now, and if they are not, it can be done rather easily for someone with basic Microsoft Excel ability. 

Regarding the Troopers DM saunter, is that an old tradition? I only remember seeing it in recent years and the folks I sat with in Allentown, some of whom marched at the time Troopers were in their glory did not remember it from back in the day. Perhaps it took place and I didn't notice. 

There were some occasional comments about it last year.  Some folks had heels dug in thinking it was a tradition and no big deal and the opposition should all basically get over it.  But tradition for whom?  For Troopers sure, OK.  But when a tradition impacts other groups in that manner, courtesy and respect for others (DM's, MM's and fans alike) acquiescence to expedience seems a better path.

• Like 1

Back in my day we had full corps retreat at every show and I thought it was great.

Because I was in the pit and didn't have to go to retreat.  So full corps retreat allowed us to explore whatever city/town we were in, and hang out with members from other corps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

BITD it was an honor to be the last DM to arrive 'front & center', Trooper or not.  Our DM would always come back, make sure all was lined up properly in Guard/Perc/brass before deciding it was abt time to go  to the awards.  Although getting there last was best, no DM wanted to be the first to arrive

On 3/7/2017 at 1:35 PM, tesmusic said:

BD has extra days, because they have less shows, because they are on the west coast.

Pioneer even CHOOSES to take days off during the season, usually mid/late July to rehearse, as well.

Take a look at show schedules, do you see many, if any cases where Pioneer is going on later than corps that are multiple points ahead of them, like say, BD?

I'm sure the math was pointed out, but that didn't cause a change, just look at schedules.

every show that BD and Pioneer are in, BD can leave for the show multiple hours later than Pioneer.  Thus results in more sleep time or practice time for BD.

13 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

every show that BD and Pioneer are in, BD can leave for the show multiple hours later than Pioneer.  Thus results in more sleep time or practice time for BD.

... in addition to the fact that some years, BD has competed in as much as 25%-28% less shows in a season than 3 of their most competitive Corps rivals ( BD did 25 shows, competitors 29-32 shows ). So if you arrive at Championships with more practice time that season, and well rested, it can mean the difference of a few tenths, and those precious few tenths can mean all the difference in the world between winning it all, or becoming an also ran that season.

Edited by BRASSO

15 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

But they don't....

17 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

Except for that regional where Pioneer played for a full house going on after BD. ;)