Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

2 minutes ago, yogitom said:

Couldn't have been for that reason. The video posted is from 2010.

Ah, good point. Never mind.

So any factual info concerning this thread yet, or just a "I heard it from a DM"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

So any factual info concerning this thread yet, or just a "I heard it from a DM"

I heard it from two DMs at different groups. But that's still just word of mouth.

7 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

I heard it from two DMs at different groups. But that's still just word of mouth.

So still not official.

I'm hoping this true. Huge time suck for the organizations and later travel puts them at greater risks and less sleep time.

For me this falls under the category of "it's not about us"

JMO

George

17 hours ago, Ghost said:

Those who have competed in a DCI Finals will probably know, but I'm thinking that the mass ensemble had run its course.  After scores were done, many might have wanted to just start the drive home, crash at the airport, or spend some time with friends made during the season from other corps out by the busses.  The contract DCI has with the stadium may have required an early shut down time.

This was discussed in a thread here about a year or so ago. I believe the "mass brass" finale just became an outdated event that the recent generations of corps members weren't taking very seriously. It has not been done at Finals since 2013, and has since been replaced with a video montage of performances from all of the corps that had performed at Prelims the Thursday before (a tradition since the first Finals at LOS in 2009, before "mass brass" was gutted).

Also, knowing that the BOA Grand National Finals retreat in November often ends close to 1am (occasionally on the day of a Colts game), I don't believe there are any major contractual obligations with the stadium.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

Out of curiosity...

If DCI indeed guts the drum major ceremony for all competitions except Finals (which is a full retreat), is there a possibility that at major regionals (San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem... probably not Allentown because it is spread over 2 days), scores may be announced in the middle of the competition like at Prelims/Semis?

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Out of curiosity...

If DCI indeed guts the drum major ceremony for all competitions except Finals (which is a full retreat), is there a possibility that at major regionals (San Antonio, Atlanta, Winston-Salem... probably not Allentown because it is spread over 2 days), scores may be announced in the middle of the competition like at Prelims/Semis?

Traditionally, scores at prelims of "open shows" (shows where corps are eliminated)  have been announced when available for a good number of years so that is part of the tradition. If scores were announced at all shows as they are available, that would be a far bigger change and for me would remove some of the excitement. 

3 hours ago, flammaster said:

People hardly stay for awards anymore.  Opting to get scores online I guess.

Exactly. You can start driving and get the scores 30 minutes later 30 miles closer to home