Drum Majors Will No Longer Participate In Retreats. Please Say It Isn't True...

I'm not surprised when I heard that drum majors will no longer be participating in retreats after the shows.  It's been quite a number of years since full-retreats were on the field anyway...this is only a continuation of that trend...Honestly...I don't have a problem with this decision...I heard finals is the only exclusion to this as well...

I'm not even sure whether anyone actually cares anymore?  Is this a big deal to you or no?

Caveat: I have not personally confirmed this news.

Edited by Liahona

I'm curious where this comes from. Just asking, but wouldn't this constitute a rules change, which have happened at meetings that already took place? 

So without DM's,they'd just announce the scores ?

I don't know the logistics of Drum Corps travel.

Do all the competing corps hang out until after retreat ?

If they do, this may be intended to let corps get on the road earlier.

My  recommendation,for what its worth,  would be for a corps to keep  one or two staff behind with the DM's and then leave after retreat.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

So without DM's,they'd just announce the scores ?

I don't know the logistics of Drum Corps travel.

Do all the competing corps hang out until after retreat ?

If they do, this may be intended to let corps get on the road earlier.

My  recommendation,for what its worth,  would be for a corps to keep  one or two staff behind with the DM's and then leave after retreat.

I think that happens at some shows now.

A corps DM always seems to be first up, last to sleep.  LOL.

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'm curious where this comes from. Just asking, but wouldn't this constitute a rules change, which have happened at meetings that already took place? 

This is coming from Drum Majors that were told so at the Leadership Summit supposedly.

We have recaps throughout the year this year, so that's what really matters to me after a non-finlas show.

• Like 2

Eh...ultimately its better for members.  I generally just look online for scores anyway.  Not too much of a loss, I mean its a change in tradition, but DCI is no stranger to changes.

31 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Eh...ultimately its better for members.  I generally just look online for scores anyway.  Not too much of a loss, I mean its a change in tradition, but DCI is no stranger to changes.

I'm curious how it's better for members? As a former marching member, I thoroughly enjoyed the times not only during retreat, but also interactions with other corps after retreats.

I'd love to know your reason for the statement.

4 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I'm curious how it's better for members? As a former marching member, I thoroughly enjoyed the times not only during retreat, but also interactions with other corps after retreats.

I'd love to know your reason for the statement.

Get back to housing sites earlier, which ultimately results in more floor time.  

29 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Get back to housing sites earlier, which ultimately results in more floor time.  

Well you're hardly, if ever, heading back to a housing site. Almost always headed to the next school/state.

• Like 3