Music Corps Should Reboot

nobody is generally excited about reboots. Other than rare exceptions like 08 PR, they almost never surpass the original.

That Said, I can think of a few shows/numbers that deserve a mulligan.  In the spirit of 'music corps should do,' I'd like to see Bluecoats take another stab at 'Haitian Fight Song' from their 09 show. It was technically solid in 09, no doubt, but it lacked a certain...lunatic verve. Judging from the attitude and character they stuck onto some of their pieces last year, I think if that Mingus number where to come up again, they could probably give it the weird life that piece deserves this time around.

• Like 1

There is a difference between a full on rehash of theme/music and just doing a great piece of music again.  I'm fine with the latter.  

I really enjoyed the Bluecoats example here, would be fun to hear that given another stab.  Whether it be by them or someone else. 

City of Angels (Madison 1991-1992)
Porgy and Bess (Star 1988)
Freda (Crossmen 1993)
River Music (Crossmen 1993)
Bartok's Dance Suite (Freelancers 1991)
Ballet Sacra (Cadets 1993)
Alfred Reed's Symphony for Brass and Percussion (Crossmen 1995)
Trittico (Blue Knights 1994)
Dance Movements (Cavaliers 1998)
Polovtsian Dances (Glassmen 1998)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 31rabbit said:

nobody is generally excited about reboots. Other than rare exceptions like 08 PR, they almost never surpass the original.

Yes. So boot the reboots. Do new stuff on the field, and save the overdone songs for encores.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yes. So boot the reboots. Do new stuff on the field, and save the overdone songs for encores.

nobody wants to redo the overdone, at least I don't, but some great pieces have been Underdone and deserve a mulligan.  that was something I was ruminating on: not redo shows I like, but retry concepts or pieces that weren't executed to their potential.

example: I didn't want Madison to do 99 again, because they owned that show and it didn't need anything more. but their Carmen show, well that was source material that didn't get performed to its potential and I'd like to see it tried again.

or Cavaliers 07, for instance. Pressure and a few other moments were solid, but it's a largely forgettable show. which is a shame since the Billy Joel canon has so many potential-laden pieces. the best moments of that show illustrate what it could have been, so I want somebody to try that again.

also while I'm picking on the cavaliers, and this my Bold Statement: I want to see a 'The Planets' reboot. Crossmen 08 was okay, but I wasn't satisfied. Don't get me wrong, Cavies 95 is excellent. for its time.  But I think the advances in theatrics and staging, and the spacing effects that can be done with speakers...I think a new The Planets could really put a lot more meat into the production that I think the source content deserves.  modern Cadets, if it were one of their Good Decision Making Years, could really take The Planets to a performance ceiling worthy of the original content.  

Phantom of the Opera and West Side Story, those are Done shows. but maybe Miss Saigon, as much as I like SCV 91, has a ceiling that hasn't been hit yet.