Custom music

Guest dcimatt149

1) Cost.  Typically, the cost is way more to have an original composition commissioned as opposed to just paying permission to arrange fees to a Copyright owner for an existing composition to be arranged. and 2) Time.  The corps creative staff can quickly bounce around show construction ideas while listening to music already composed as opposed to waiting for an original to be written and recorded.

• Like 1

I usually stay out of this sub, but saw the title and was curious. This is actually something I've put some thought into, and I believe it solves a lot of the problems we've seen in licensing. More to the point, I think we often overthink the costs/process associated with "original" music. I follow a lot of Electronic music composers, and many of them generate truly original pieces of music that spans the emotional spectrum, lasting anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours+. And their style of music (from a composational standpoint) isn't too far off from drum corps. There's an artist named Tiesto who basically does super emotional Blue Devils shows, and Bluecoats' show from this past season pulled a lot of the musical structural elements I've seen from several artists.

To the point of Electronic, we naturally assume "electronic" won't work for our activity, but the electronic part is purely because that's the set of audio files they upload into their system. I've spoken to a few EDM composers about this, and every one of them feels they could make an amazing 12 minute production using nothing but brass and percussion audio files, spanning literally any emotional spectrum we'd want.

On top of that, there's literally software that can translate these electronic compositions into sheet music. If a corps were to hire a moderately talented EDM producer to produce the music, and then run it through a basic sheet music annotation software, that corps could literally have a super engaging, truly original, wholly owned musical program in a weekend.

• Like 2