Most Successful Corps BY State

On 3/8/2017 at 6:32 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Suspect Wyoming would be Troopers

"Wyoming Senior Corps":

Wyoming had, and may very well  still have, a senior corps called the Seventh Cavalry.  They called Sheridan WY home.

They attended the American Legion Nationals way back in 1961 and placed tenth.  

Elphaba   :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

I liked 20th Maine...the 80's version. I remember talking to the corps director, concerning a shady person who had something to do with them. Sad that they couldn't keep it going. That time period saw them , Spartans, Granite State Garrison and Patriots always going at it.

Illinois:

Des Plaines Vanguard

Royal Airs

Guardsmen

Norwood Park Imperials

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Utah:  The Battalion (since there might never have been any other corps out here.)

To quote myself (it originally appeared in my DCW column) from the February 28 posting on the Drum Corps World Facebook page:

"The 1950 Magna, UT, junior corps was one of the most secluded corps in U.S. drum corps history. Denver was more than 500 miles away and the corps of southern Montana was equally distant. A few years later a corps started up in Brigham City, UT, to give Magna company. Despite lack of competition, Magna competed at the American Legion Nationals in 1941 (Milwaukee, WI), 1946 (San Francisco, CA), 1949 (Philadelphia, PA), 1950 (Los Angeles, CA), and 1952 (New York City, NY)."

Sugarhouse was another Utah corps from the 1940s/1950s.

21 hours ago, old vanguard said:

Illinois:

Des Plaines Vanguard

Royal Airs

Guardsmen

Norwood Park Imperials

"Downstate":

Bellville Black Knights, very strong corps in the late 1950's and early 1960's, competed successfully against the Mid West powers of the day, and several times VFW Nationals  Finalist, survived into the DCI era.

Belleville BKs were mentioned in KeithHalls' original posting. I remember them well. They were one of my favorite corps in the late fifties and early sixties. Very classy, and innovative.

3 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Downstate":

Bellville Black Knights, very strong corps in the late 1950's and early 1960's, competed successfully against the Mid West powers of the day, and several times VFW Nationals  Finalist, survived into the DCI era.

I lived in Belleville in the mid 90's.  Was doing some library research one day & found a local newspaper article from late 1950's that reported on a Corps contest the night before.  There were 10 corps, 6 from Belleville proper, the other 4 from other St Claire county towns - none more than 15 miles away, and 2 were all-girl Corps.  Black Knights were the most successful corps in a very Corps-saturated county, with a total population of less than 70,000.  Granted, most of these corps were likely in the 50-member range, but that makes the competition even better.  The only other to locality I am aware of that was this Corps-saturated would be Racine WI in the late 50's as well.

The Milstadt Crusaders put out several pretty respectable corps over the years. They were not far from Belleville, IL.

I knew Mr. Creson (founder and manager of BK) slightly and was hoping to have the oppty to work with their horn line in the mid' sixties, but the Army had other plans.