States without any type of drum corps

1 hour ago, Northern Thunder said:

Armada, a  new junior corps in Boise, ID, is getting off the ground this year.

I just googled them and found their FB page.  They are even inviting woodwinds to the April camp - makes me think they are willing to help good WW players learn a brass instrument.  Here's the link to their FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/armadacorp

Edited by RetiredMusTeach
grammar error

The interesting thing about having a corps in Idaho is the fact that Idaho may very well have produced the absolute fewest corps of ANY state in history.

Alaska and Hawaii have each had a handful over the decades, (as have other barren areas such as Nevada, New Mexico, Vermont, South Dakota, North Dakota, Arkansas and Mississippi) but Idaho has had virtually nothing in the junior corps world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

The interesting thing about having a corps in Idaho is the fact that Idaho may very well have produced the absolute fewest corps of ANY state in history.

Alaska and Hawaii have each had a handful over the decades, (as have other barren areas such as Nevada, New Mexico, Vermont, South Dakota, North Dakota, Arkansas and Mississippi) but Idaho has had virtually nothing in the junior corps world.

Thanks for the input.  Personally, I would like nothing better than to see corps spring up in every state and thereby let more people know about drum corps and give more young people an opportunity to participate in a corps closer to home.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:06 AM, Northern Thunder said:

If you qualify that synopsis as "postwar", maybe.

American Legion state contests in the 1930s typically drew 4 to 6 senior competitors.  Later, when junior corps gravitated to field competition, the 1939 state contest saw 5 junior contestants, led by an all-girl unit from St. Maries named (naturally) the Belles of St. Maries.

I know Hawaii has had a number of corps, but I have no knowledge of any of them ever participating in a field competition.  If memory serves, the other 49 states have all had a competing corps at some point in time (though for Idaho and Nevada, that was quite some time ago).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

American Legion state contests in the 1930s typically drew 4 to 6 senior competitors.  Later, when junior corps gravitated to field competition, the 1939 state contest saw 5 junior contestants, led by an all-girl unit from St. Maries named (naturally) the Belles of St. Maries.

I know Hawaii has had a number of corps, but I have no knowledge of any of them ever participating in a field competition.  If memory serves, the other 49 states have all had a competing corps at some point in time (though for Idaho and Nevada, that was quite some time ago).

Even pre-war, Idaho's numbers pale compared to the rest of the country.

Hawaii had several corps that competed in field band/corps contests as recently as the late 1970s.

On 4/24/2017 at 9:00 AM, Northern Thunder said:

Armada, a  new junior corps in Boise, ID, is getting off the ground this year.

Interesting choice of name and logo (an anchor), for a community 500 miles from the ocean

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Good information.  As someone who is relatively new to drum corps, I always enjoy hearing about the history.  Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

37 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Yes!  And the names for the newer corps make it sound like we're going to war.....

Battalion, Arsenal, Armada......

Interesting observations.  All these corps are western corps, yea even the "Olde West".  Perhaps a reflection of their heritage?  Anyway, having lived in New Mexico as a teenager, I am so happy to see Arsenal taking off in Albuquerque and plan on following them closely.  GO - FIGHT - WIN - YEA TEAM, oops - CORPS!

• Like 1