Prof. Nicholas Childs of .......

Got an interesting email about de Meij just the other day:

https://www.gofundme.com/return-to-myddle-erde-symphony

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Got an interesting email about de Meij just the other day:

https://www.gofundme.com/return-to-myddle-erde-symphony

Sounds like it could be a great piece - but why is there a GoFundMe if Valparaiso is commissioning the work?  Not sure why they are asking others to contribute if it is their own idea in the first place.  Maybe they should secure funding first before trying to get the work written (a.k.a. don't spend what you don't have).

Edited by Quad Aces

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Black Dyke Band says to any corps "have at it!"

Cavaliers used some snippets in 2009 in their Great Divide show - snippets that sound similar to the movement of Grand Pianola Music they played. Unfortunately, Cavies didn't play any of the fun stuff.

I thought de Meij wouldn't license his music for drum corps, which is why no one's played Gandalf yet.

4 hours ago, Lance said:

Such a great piece. 

It's been brought up at least 5 times in the "Music Corps Should Do" thread, including by me. 

Obviously I and others, have not done are do diligence in reading all the posts in that thread.  If I had read those other mentions, I've long forgotten it.  Oh well.

6 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Cavaliers used some snippets in 2009 in their Great Divide show - snippets that sound similar to the movement of Grand Pianola Music they played. Unfortunately, Cavies didn't play any of the fun stuff.

I really enjoy that Cavaliers show but yeah, they dodged the really fun stuff it has to offer.  I'd absolutely love to see someone not just use it but build a show around it. 

• Like 1

Currently playing 3 movements of the LoTR Symphony #1. Holy double-tonguing-from-hell for all the trumpets (4 trumpet parts in this one) in Gollum. His stuff is certainly interesting.