Transition from Fan to Parent

This is my first year as a DCI Parent too! Congrats! 

My son is marching Baritone with Cavaliers 2017 after marching Atlanta CV 2015-2016 in the DCA ranks. I couldn't be more excited for him. 

I do know that I will also have an almost blinder-like focus on the Cavs when they are on the field, but I'm also a huge fan of the activity in general. 

Luckily enough, DCI brings two shows ( Cavs in both) within 5 miles of my house in July. Heck...he might even get to sneak away and sleep here one night instead of a gym floor. 

Already bought Semis and Finals tickets in Indy in August. 

And other than that...I'll just have to see how my "viewing habits" change now that I have one on the DCI show field. 

Interesting observation: And not meant as any kind of slight to Spirit of Atlanta back in the 1979-1981 years....but my brother marched Spirit those years. When he saw the material my son was preparing for Bluecoats and Cavs audition, he just chuckled. He said his visual tryout was to "clap triplets while marching time in 4/4" and that "we're in a new universe now". And he's right. I would advise anyone wanting their kid to have a chance in a top 5 corps to start taking ballet...yesterday. :-) 

• Like 2

Congrats.  :)  Where I didn't march I hope some day I can experience it the same way you are.  

59 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I learned very quickly to turn a deaf ear to people who were critical of your child's corps.  It was tough but you can't go around clocking people. JK ;-)  Best of luck! 

A primary reason I'm not very critical on here is because I know the last thing I want is a parent or a MM reading some nasty crap someone is throwing their corps way, that just doesn't sit well with me.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it will be interesting for you to revisit this topic in 10 or 20 years.

I agree.  90% of the parents don't stick around for longer than the time their kids march.

Edited by BRASSO

46 years as a BD alumni an my 5th year as parent of same corps.  I have learned more about music as a parent then I ever did in playing.  

My son has been a HS instructor since the day he left HS.  I hope he instructs a drum corps next  year.

• Like 5

Glad she landed on both feet with Guardians Mike!  It has been a journey for me.....marched in 1985, then was a fan for almost thirty years until I had teenagers old enough to try.  First two band kids went to experience camps but didn't stick.  It wasn't until kid #3 that I had one bite!  Now #3 is in his third season, #4 is in her second season (as well as driving us nuts with independent winterguard) and I have lost my wife to the food truck for the past two summers!

i can relate - I rarely watch other corps.  I periscope our corps whenever I can but rarely scope anyone else.  Having hung around the tour for a few years now, I have learned that the shows aren't my favorite part.  They are really only about 10% of the story.  The best parts as a parent are watching the morning workouts while I drink coffee, serving meals, long hot days in the food truck, injuries and trips to the urgent care clinic, bus rides, weird sleeping arrangements, free days, lot meals after shows, etc etc.  if you can swing it I highly recommend you pack up and travel with them for a week or so.  You'll be glad you did.

Good luck, see you again soon!

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 2

Great, just what we need another myopic band parent posting about their precious’ corps. Although, I do enjoy their sniping at the corps in their kid’s corps competitive tier as well as, their often absurd defense of  their kid’s corps GE blunders I can do without the death threat PM for not loving their kid’s show enough.

I’m mostly kidding

Congrats, have fun

Many of us valve-rotor dinosaurs moan about the current state of Corps, but one thing that is light-years ahead of us BITD is how much the kid's health & welfare is looked after.  Remember the stories of people too being scarred to ride on 27's busses, or Bayonne parking next to BD so the members could sneak some of their chow?  I don't ever remember having a hydration break.  Sleep time was on the bus (if Chris would ever shut up.  The story entitled 'Chris, SHUT UP or I will stab you' is now IL legend).  

If my kids were to march I would much rather they did it under today's conditions.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

15 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Congrats.  :)  Where I didn't march I hope some day I can experience it the same way you are.  

A primary reason I'm not very critical on here is because I know the last thing I want is a parent or a MM reading some nasty crap someone is throwing their corps way, that just doesn't sit well with me.  

It's  a competition activity. Critiques are a part of it. Shielding the members or their parents from it, does you and them no favors. Good luck to you and your son MikeN.

53 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Many of us valve-rotor dinosaurs moan about the current state of Corps, 

I  do not.  I love the modern stuff.  Mainly because they love doing it.  Embracing your kids passions is the best thing that can be done.  I enjoy corps so much more now that I don't pick it all apart.

Watching other corps shows from BITD is even more so!