Something about The Cadets you may never have known

Why are marching Cadets and Cadet Alumni so loyal to each other?

How would you answer this? While I was out in Indianapolis awhile back a number of people asked me why our Cadet Alumni are so supportive of our corps. I found it hard to explain in a short conversation just what having worn the iconic maroon and gold Cadet uniform, or sharing a history and heritage, or having shared values and a work ethic that we learned as marching Cadets, or singing The Holy Name hymn knowing that it has been sung by many thousands over a period of 83 years means to us. I thought back on some words that George Hopkins said at our 75th Anniversary Diamond Jubilee. To paraphrase, "We are not here to celebrate ten American Legion National Championship or ten DCI World Championships. We are here to celebrate and to honor every Cadet who has worn the maroon and gold over our long and rich history." In essence what I think he was saying, and what I firmly believe, is that we are all part of the Cadet tapestry. Our history is not simply about competitive achievement...though we value that as much as any other corps. Winning can be defined in many ways though, and through good years and bad we have always "won," through success, through adversity, and through challenges that have molded our character. If you have a conversation with a Cadet alumnus and you ask "why are you so loyal," more times than not he or she will tell you that everything they are, and everything they accomplished in life, was built upon the experience of having been aCadet. We are all forever linked, to the Cadets who preceded us, the Cadets we marched with, the Cadets who followed us, and the Cadets yet to come. FHNSAB...For Holy Name shall always be...pretty much sums up why we are so loyal and so supportive. We want to ensure that we all do whatever we can to ensure that those words...the final words of the Holy Name Hymn...and the promise to our corps' future that is embodied in those words...never ring empty.

• Like 8

Cowtown, I don't really know what's in those big coolers they parcel out to The Cadets. Perhaps you're right, but I can't offer verification. I do know that the more I drink the more my commitment as an alumnus of The Cadets expands. It especially happens when I drink the red stuff. 

I'm not sure the corps/alumni bond is any stronger than for other groups but the number of alumni is greater because it's one of the oldest corps. I agree the bond is very strong and I feel very connected to anyone who marched Cadets. I do think past generations are probably more loyal alumni since the activity was very local and kids marched in the same corps sometimes for 10 years! That would create very deep bonds to a corps than current members who may march 1-3 years and sometimes in different groups.

10 hours ago, onceuponatime said:

Why are marching Cadets and Cadet Alumni so loyal to each other?

How would you answer this? While I was out in Indianapolis awhile back a number of people asked me why our Cadet Alumni are so supportive of our corps. I found it hard to explain in a short conversation just what having worn the iconic maroon and gold Cadet uniform, or sharing a history and heritage, or having shared values and a work ethic that we learned as marching Cadets, or singing The Holy Name hymn knowing that it has been sung by many thousands over a period of 83 years means to us. I thought back on some words that George Hopkins said at our 75th Anniversary Diamond Jubilee. To paraphrase, "We are not here to celebrate ten American Legion National Championship or ten DCI World Championships. We are here to celebrate and to honor every Cadet who has worn the maroon and gold over our long and rich history." In essence what I think he was saying, and what I firmly believe, is that we are all part of the Cadet tapestry. Our history is not simply about competitive achievement...though we value that as much as any other corps. Winning can be defined in many ways though, and through good years and bad we have always "won," through success, through adversity, and through challenges that have molded our character. If you have a conversation with a Cadet alumnus and you ask "why are you so loyal," more times than not he or she will tell you that everything they are, and everything they accomplished in life, was built upon the experience of having been aCadet. We are all forever linked, to the Cadets who preceded us, the Cadets we marched with, the Cadets who followed us, and the Cadets yet to come. FHNSAB...For Holy Name shall always be...pretty much sums up why we are so loyal and so supportive. We want to ensure that we all do whatever we can to ensure that those words...the final words of the Holy Name Hymn...and the promise to our corps' future that is embodied in those words...never ring empty.

You're defining the way it is in countless organizations, drum corps or otherwise. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

You're defining the way it is in countless organizations, drum corps or otherwise. 

I don't think Dave was trying to say the Cadets are better than other corps/organizations. I think he was just talking about The Cadets and our history/loyalty. I'm sure the Scouts, BAC, Cavies, and young corps like SCV, BD,(j/k)  etc...are pretty much the same in that regard.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I don't think Dave was trying to say the Cadets are better than other corps/organizations. I think he was just talking about The Cadets and our history/loyalty. I'm sure the Scouts, BAC, Cavies, and young corps like SCV, BD,(j/k)  etc...are pretty much the same in that regard.

Good point, just came off as though there aren't those bonds in other corps. Also, true about the youngins' in California.

16 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Good point, just came off as though there aren't those bonds in other corps. Also, true about the youngins' in California.

no, rhe way you perceived it you presumed to be the intent of the poster. Those are two different perspectives not necessarily identical.

I've attended shows hosted by Cadets and have sat in Cadet blocks in Atlanta and Allentown and I will have to say the loyalty and love of the corps is palpable. There were a few alums in Allentown who were less than thrilled about uniform changes in 2015 and made their feelings known, but even then there was love for the corps. Part of it is probably the drum corps experience. I am a die hard fan and I know my history, stats, repertoires, etc better than more than a few who marched, but I never marched so I do not know the joys and disappointments of DCI competition, what it is like to be in finals, the tour experience, or the lifelong bond. As an outsider looking in, it has to create a certain sentiment that cannot be matched or taken away. It also has to be nurtured. In 2012 I attended the last TOC show Cadets hosted at MetLife Stadium. There was a two hour rain delay and I was probably the only non Cadet in the section where I waited for the rain to stop. No one cared that the show was delayed. It was like a family reunion. Volunteers were also walking around, asking people to be patient, and thanked them for attending the show. One asked when I when I marched, and when I said I never marched, I was asked what my favorite Cadets show was (1980) and was introduced to someone who marched that year. If I had been a Cadet who had been away for a while, I would have been reconnected with the corps. Perhaps I would have been hit up for a donation too, but that's another story.  

I know Boston Crusaders does an excellent job at connecting alums and marching members and works at making everyone feel like family at home shows. When Madison celebrated 75 years in 2013 and alums stood up in Indy and sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" it was amazing. Cavies seems to have this loyalty as well. 

In short, I think the experience creates the bond and loyalty, but often it is nurtured by the corps. 

• Like 3