Why does Jersey Surf do so bad?

Jersey Surf's past show was really quite impressive compared to years past. I suggest looking it up if you haven't seen it. So why have they stayed so low in the scoring table? Are they really not better than Genesis or Spartans? Do you think their silly show reputation is dragging them down politically and do you think they'll ever have a chance to move up in the ranks or are they stuck being such a low scoring world class corps?

Edited by lossvegas

I sure don't know the specifics of their low scores, but I do know a general principle:  Music played with joy and passion will always be received well.  Perhaps Jersey Surf's MM's and staff have gotten tense and apprehensive when they perform because of their past lower placement.  If that's true, then my advice is to go back to the joy of music, the joy of the brother-sisterhood, and the opportunity to bring joy to the audience.  If you look up Wikipedia pages for the top corps, MOST OF THEM HAD YEARS OF LOW PLACEMENTS, LOW SCORES.  So I just want to say to the member/staff/volunteers of 2017 Jersey Surf - I'm for you, I'm not against you, I look forward to hearing and seeing your show and most of all, I hope you have great fun and joy in producing it.  If you do, I will be whooping and cheering for you!  And so will a lot of other people.  May God bless you this year and provide everything you need to accomplish your purposes, your plans, your goals.

• Like 2

If you are worried about scores, study the caption recaps

Jersey Surf is not bad, they have a different philosophy and therefor a different tour model, different seasonal structure and they do achieve their different goals. See also Pioneer. These corps along with others and Open Class are the backbone of DCI as they are a gateway to the activity, providing opportunities to many that may not have otherwise been able to march and preparing them for whatever sort of DCI career they want.

Much respect to those corps that do the work, put in the passion but don’t get the love or the butts in the seat.  

• Like 3

I think you need to look at the particulars of how each corps provides the DCI experience to the marching members and what their overall goals are. I do not think that Surf thinks they are doing "badly", at least I hope not.  

I doubt any show history is holding them down. Corps Director Bob Jacobs is one of the most respected people in DCI. He runs a very special organization.

• Like 2

I feel like they need to decide who they want to be, they've been going back and forth between really over the top and fun/relaxed and a lot more serious and if I'm being honest for myself almost dull shows.  I think having a clear voice helps you hone in on a show that works really well for you.  

And they were better, but Open Class is exploding right now as well, Genesis and Legends both are really coming into their own with two incredibly exciting and engaging shows last year.   Spartans are always very solid and Music City is starting to hit their stride.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lossvegas said:

Do you think their silly show reputation is dragging them down politically

No. I do not believe Jersey Surf has a " silly show reputation" either. As a matter of fact I believe this caricature of yours of them is a bit " silly ".

Jersey Surf is like 90% of all the other Corps that have not made Finals before. They find it hard to retain sufficient veteran marching talent that will allow them much chance of ever moving up to a Finalist contention. In addition, staff that do reasonably well here at these lower levels, tend to move to the perennially Finalists higher placing Corps. For example, Jersey Surf lost their former drill writer this off season to The Cadets. Besides,  many of these Corps do not define " success " as placements even to begin with. Most of these Corps have " successfully " enriched the lives of far more numbers of marchers.. and continue to do so... than the dozens& dozens of former much higher placing DCI World Class Division Corps that are long since gone, and are but a distant memory now..

Edited by BRASSO

If I had to pick the most obvious example-- Surf doesn't start their spring training until several weeks after most other corps because they're primarily geared towards high school students. They intentionally scoop up younger members, start later than everyone else, and have a slightly more relaxed schedule to allow for their kids to experience the places that they go etc etc... It's not designed to be a competitive program, at least not in the sense that the top corps are. It's just a way for high schoolers to get to say they were in DCI World Class, and they do what they do well considering these factors.

1 minute ago, aLittleBird said:

If I had to pick the most obvious example-- Surf doesn't start their spring training until several weeks after most other corps because they're primarily geared towards high school students. They intentionally scoop up younger members, start later than everyone else, and have a slightly more relaxed schedule to allow for their kids to experience the places that they go etc etc... It's not designed to be a competitive program, at least not in the sense that the top corps are. It's just a way for high schoolers to get to say they were in DCI World Class, and they do what they do well considering these factors.

Here is my question: Does anything you claim as why they exist, and what their mission is for, support them being designated as a 'World Class' corps competing on the stage of 'World Class' competition?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Here is my question: Does anything you claim as why they exist, and what their mission is for, support them being designated as a 'World Class' corps competing on the stage of 'World Class' competition?

Every competing circuit needs a bottom rung, and I would respectfully point out that they're not even the bottom performing corps. When they were Open Class, they won a few times if memory serves. Having them WC doesn't really hurt anything.

I'm not "claiming" anything, all this information is quite accessible.