Why does Jersey Surf do so bad?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

If the highest division in all the world demands that all are judged on climbing trees, is it wise then for a fish to compete?

You do realize, don't you, that you're making the same base case that the G7 was making.

"They'll have their own division!  They'll actually have a chance to win!"

Nothing like a mortgage or a goal to get someone out of bed in the morning...

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

If it is as you state, that it is the World Class experience Surf wants to provide to members, the members are not marching with a corps with a WC philosophy that will ever have a chance to provide for the WC experience portion of what you posted in which I highlighted.

So the definition of "World Class" is that you are striving to be in the top 12?  You can only call yourself "World Class" if your priority is competitive?  There are MANY other factors that separate Open Class from World Class, even down to sponsorship that are only offered to World Class corps.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I already stated that it is DCI's call.  And of course this is my opinion.  But please also remember that all that you post is merely your opinion.

Not really. There are times when posters can cite " facts " too. For example, it is an undeniable and unassailable " fact " that Jersey Surf currently competes in the World Class Division of DCI. It is an " opinion " however on whether or not they should compete in this division.

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, garfield said:

You do realize, don't you, that you're making the same base case that the G7 was making.

"They'll have their own division!  They'll actually have a chance to win!"

Nothing like a mortgage or a goal to get someone out of bed in the morning...

<cue violent disagreement>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

If DCI was an outside independent entity apart from the corps directors themselves, and if that entity had produced the G7 report or say proposed making the top 12 from the previous season the upper class for the next season, I would not have had such a visceral reaction.  Because to me the World Class should be the best corps in DCI based on competitive outcome (I would say somewhere around the top 12 to 15 from the previous season becomes the next season's WC corps with the opportunity for any corps to punch into the top 12 to 15 during the Friday contest, but that is me).  The problem I had was that it was self-serving for the directors who signed it with a huge conflict of interest as voting board members.

Edited by Stu

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

I already stated that it is DCI's call.  And of course this is my opinion.  But please also remember that all that you post is merely your opinion.

you don't expect him to read what he writes, do you?

(man making a typo on a meme sucks!)

CGfcaex.png

Edited by corpsband

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Not really. There are times when posters can cite " facts " too. For example, it is an undeniable and unassailable " fact " that Jersey Surf currently competes in the World Class Division of DCI. It is an " opinion " however on whether or not they should compete in this division.

I admit that facts can be a part of the equation; but the spin on those facts and how we use the facts, which is what we mainly do on DCP, is still 'opinion'.