Why does Jersey Surf do so bad?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

In response to Garfield, Brasso, and Corpsband -

DCI sets the criteria; that is true.  But I also wish DCI was a separate entity apart from the corps directors, and allow the corps directors to be advisers but not voting board members..  That said, all I am seeking is for the classification of World Class to be based on competitive merit on top of financial stability; nothing more.  Would I set the number of corps so small that it only benefited BD and/or the other self-serving 6?  Nope.  However, I would appreciate a system that would be something like this: The last week of tour all corps within DCI, that is WC, OC, and even SoundSport can compete in Prelims if they so desire; then a set-number of the corps would qualify for semi-finals based on scores; and after the semi-finals those that competitively qualify for the Saturday Finals would become the next year's WC designated corps. Merit Based classification of WC.  Imagine someone taking you to a baseball game where on both teams the pitchers can only throw 65mph fastballs; the hitters cannot hit any home runs; the base runners are slow; the catcher always bounces the ball when throwing to second base; and the person who took you to the game states proudly that those teams are World Class Major Teams.  When you inquire as to what makes them World Class the response is, “Oh, any team which is financially capable to make it to all of the games is what makes them the caliber of team to be called World Class Major.”  Would you not chuckle and shake your head at that response?

Sounds like you want to screw more corps out of getting any money...as is now the case for the open class division...I don't like this idea at all...

10 minutes ago, Liahona said:

How the heck does lower placing corps insult the classification name?

In the same manner that allowing a team the caliber of The Bad News Bears to be designated as a Top-Tier Major League Team in the MLB would insult the MLB top classification name as well as insult the teams who endeavor to be the best of the best teams in the world.

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Because when everybody is considered special (ie World Class) nobody is special. Over my lifetime I have seen corps in DCI, not Surf, but other corps score in the teens and lower; as in they were extremely and embarrassingly awful in their performances.  However, if there was no limit to the number of corps deemed 'World Class' some of those corps would have fit the criteria of being financially sound and able to do a national tour.  And to call those corps ‘World Class’ would completely and utterly insult not only the classification name but also the names of the corps within that classification which are endeavoring to be the best of the best in the world (ie World Class).

And the lower classifications up until 1991 were based upon SIZE of the corps...NOT a lower level of competitive expertise...that nonsense classification began in 1992...

11 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Sounds like you want to screw more corps out of getting any money...as is now the case for the open class division...I don't like this idea at all...

How is classifying those which have earned the title of World Class through competitive merit screwing anybody?

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

And the lower classifications up until 1991 were based upon SIZE of the corps...NOT a lower level of competitive expertise...that nonsense classification began in 1992...

Classification as World Class based on competitive merit is nonsense?

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

How is classifying those which have earned the title of World Class through competitive merit screwing anybody?

So where do you draw the line?...this is what the G7 wanted...and I will have no part of it

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Having fewer corps in the main division world class will cause serious financial hardship IMO on the lower placing corps who need that performance money...open class gets nothing now...so a line in the sand let's say at top 12...causes irreparable harm to those below that threshold...

21 minutes ago, Liahona said:

So where do you draw the line?...this is what the G7 wanted...and I will have no part of it

They wanted full, everlasting, and complete control of DCI without any other corps having the opportunity to garner that same power.  It was self-serving for them and them only. That is vastly different than what I am talking about which is honoring the top 12 – 15 corps each season as being designated as World Class based on competitive merit.  A system in which they, the G7, could possibly fall out of in the future if six or more other corps began to score higher than them.

While I did find their proposal horrid because it forbade other corps from becoming as powerful as them, they did have a point in that the top corps in DCI should also have the top name classification.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

Having fewer corps in the main division world class will cause serious financial hardship IMO on the lower placing corps who need that performance money...open class gets nothing now...so a line in the sand let's say at top 12...causes irreparable harm to those below that threshold...

This would do nothing to change performance pay-outs at most shows because OC corps would still be able to compete with the designated WC corps at most all DCI shows.  All it would do would be to honor the top 12 - 15 corps, via competitive merit, with an 'earned' top-level designation.  For example, Surf would still receive the same pay-outs at all shows in which they compete now; but if they can punch into say the top 15 during Finals week, and BD (had to for Brasso) fell to 16th, the next season Surf would be designated WC and BD would be designated OC.

Edited by Stu

8 hours ago, Stu said:

In the same manner that allowing a team the caliber of The Bad News Bears to be designated as a Top-Tier Major League Team in the MLB would insult the MLB top classification name as well as insult the teams who endeavor to be the best of the best teams in the world.

The Bad News Bears finished at the top.