Why does Jersey Surf do so bad?

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

The Bad News Bears finished at the top.

So, after the squeeker exibition game against the Yankees, the Bad News Bears did not compete 'little league' (ie OC in DCI), but instead went Major League (ie WC in DCI), were officially designated as a MLB sanctioned team, competed in a full MLB season, and won the MLB World Series?  That would actually be 'finished at the top' as it applies to the scenario at hand which would be a corps of their caliber being designated as WC within DCI.

Edited by Stu

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

So, after the squeeker exibition game against the Yankees, the Bad News Bears did not go after 'little league' teams, but instead went Major League, were officially designated as a MLB sanctioned team, competed in a full MLB season, and won the MLB World Series?  That would actually be 'finished at the top' as it applies to the scenario at hand which would be a corps of their caliber being designated as WC within DCI.

Are you serious? First, I was joking. Second, movie scripts aren't real life, even when based on true stories. 

I'm done here, I need to fix the handle on the toilet which I believe will be more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

...  I need to fix the handle on the toilet which I believe will be more enjoyable. 

If you need to replace the entire toilet do not forget the golden ring; and if you need one just ask Brasso, I am sure he has plenty of golden rings. :bluedevil:

16 hours ago, Stu said:

In response to Garfield, Brasso, and Corpsband -

DCI sets the criteria; that is true.  But I also wish DCI was a separate entity apart from the corps directors, and allow the corps directors to be advisers but not voting board members..  That said, all I am seeking is for the classification of World Class to be based on competitive merit on top of financial stability; nothing more.  Would I set the number of corps so small that it only benefited BD and/or the other self-serving 6?  Nope.  However, I would appreciate a system that would be something like this: The last week of tour all corps within DCI, that is WC, OC, and even SoundSport can compete in Prelims if they so desire; then a set-number of the corps would qualify for semi-finals based on scores; and after the semi-finals those that competitively qualify for the Saturday Finals would become the next year's WC designated corps. Merit Based classification of WC.  Imagine someone taking you to a baseball game where on both teams the pitchers can only throw 65mph fastballs; the hitters cannot hit any home runs; the base runners are slow; the catcher always bounces the ball when throwing to second base; and the person who took you to the game states proudly that those teams are World Class Major Teams.  When you inquire as to what makes them World Class the response is, “Oh, any team which is financially capable to make it to all of the games is what makes them the caliber of team to be called World Class Major.”  Would you not chuckle and shake your head at that response?

OK, I give.  This obviously makes too much sense to think it's not been considered.  But I see some holes, big holes.

First, WC status has a financial component, as you know.  What of those corps who are now getting payouts under the DCI scheme who, presumably, won't after this reclassification?  When you think it all the way through to its end, don't you conclude by requiring a payout classification based on some formula that represents "gate draw"?

Second, and related, the cleanest representation of "gate draw" is classification of shows.  If the existing show format remains, there must be some breakdown of gate so both WC and OC benefit, as they do now.  

Is there any component of the scheme you describe that changes any part of compensation by class designation?

What does "attaining" WC status mean in your plan?  Bragging rights, or financial rewards?  More favorable scheduling from DCI?  Foreign travel to compete against DCEurope? (Hmmm...)

EDIT: Sorry, I completely forgot about my other point:  "Major League" is determined by rules devised by the participants themselves and, in open admonition by everyone everywhere, designed to benefit those at the top of the heap.  In order to fully commit to your system, the judging scheme would have to be established outside the activity by a group of uninterested experts.  Where do we find those people, how do they devise the rules, and how does it get implemented when one WC director said publicly "I would never be a part of an activity that I did not and could not control"?

Edited by garfield

16 hours ago, Liahona said:

Sounds like you want to screw more corps out of getting any money...as is now the case for the open class division...I don't like this idea at all...

I realize this is the natural first response.  It was mine, too.  But, there are some circumstances I can imagine where Stu's meritocracy would fit and set the existing structure as a minimum, with no maximum, to OC.  Well, at least I'm hoping Stu has an answer for that.

Particularly when there's a not-insignificant discussion about the apparent budding of the activity and how the gate pie gets divided when the flow of new corps into "Open Class" from the bottom increases each year.  There's plenty of time to dismiss Stu's idea as quackery but, frankly, I'm intrigued by the Saturday Night classification as our representation to the global stage of drum corps.  I want to hear more and beat the living crap out of the idea to see if it stands up to scrutiny.  Real world scrutiny.  I'm guessing Stu does, too.

Edited by garfield

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Are you serious? First, I was joking. Second, movie scripts aren't real life, even when based on true stories. 

I'm done here, I need to fix the handle on the toilet which I believe will be more enjoyable. 

Made me chuckle...

The Cleveland Browns are part of the NFL.

Groundhog Day is appearing on Broadway.

A few foodies put ketchup on their hot dogs.

All the best to Jersey Surf!  Looking forward to seeing your performance in Allentown this August.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

If you need to replace the entire toilet do not forget the golden ring; and if you need one just ask Brasso, I am sure he has plenty of golden rings. :bluedevil:

I only have one golden ring. Its old. Nobody can have it, as I can't get it removed without amputating the pudgy finger

3 hours ago, garfield said:

I realize this is the natural first response.  It was mine, too.  But, there are some circumstances I can imagine where Stu's meritocracy would fit and set the existing structure as a minimum, with no maximum, to OC.  Well, at least I'm hoping Stu has an answer for that.

For those of you who think I am nuts, here is a general scenario of addressing merit based classifications, pay-outs, and other concerns.

Top 12 from the previous season’s Saturday Finals would be the current season’s designated World Class (if deemed by DCI as financially able to do a full summer tour), and all others who want to tour or partially tour would be designated as Open Class (again, only if deemed financially stable by DCI).  All corps would be judged on the same sheets for score consistency. Don’t freak, please read on.

During summer tour, WC and OC corps would actually compete head-to-head at the same smaller shows Sunday – Thursday; again all shows will contain combined corps so that show costs can be strem-lined.  The current WC corps would be required to tour the entire summer; and if they are not found to be financially able to do so by DCI their designation would turn into OC and the 13th place corps from the previous year would move into WC status; but only if they were financially stable. OC corps could pick and choose what shows they would attend based on their own finances.  Line-ups at these smaller shows would be a few OC corps, Break, then a few WC corps; and step-off times would be determined by previous year’s Final Week score. Pay-outs at each small show would be based on that night’s combined competitive placements.  By consolidating the shows and splitting the corps up during the week, lower placing WC corps can win more pay-outs at smaller shows, and a fourth or fifth placing OC corps at these smaller shows would actually have pay-outs more than winning at separate OC only shows.

For all weekend big-events during the summer the current OC corps would compete on Friday and the current WC top 12 corps on Saturday.  Pay-outs would be based on the rankings of the two days combined.  This means that if Surf, for example, finished first on Friday against the OC, and their score was actually ninth overall when combined with the Saturday scores, Surf would receive the ninth place pay-out.

During Finals week the OC, if desired, could still have their finals in Michigan City say on Tuesday to declare an OC winner; then those from the OC who wanted to go on to the Thursday Indy Prelims could do so.  All combined WC and OC corps would compete on Thursday; the top say 20 from Thursday would qualify for Friday; and the top 12 would qualify for Saturday; with pay-outs based on final raw scores from first place on Saturday to last place in Michigan City.

Then that top 12 would become the next year’s WC, and the scenario would start all over.  However, I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the power hungry voting directors (um ... cough.. the G7) in today's WC would not go along with this idea.

On 3/24/2017 at 10:24 AM, BRASSO said:

Yup. And DCI has voted to move  World Class Division Corps to Open Class Division levels before too ( and vice versa ) . 

I think the only time a corps has been forced to move down was after coming back from a year off like Magic