BK invited to perform in Bahrain

This is awesome!

Any time DCI can reach a more global audience and presence the better, IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, cowtown said:

It’s an awesome opportunity

As long as we ignore their human rights record and being a party band for a despot

DCI doesn't seem too concerned with that given Indy's front office folks heading off to China and now Arabia.

Wonder how they will react in Indy office and Janual if China tells them, we'll send our Soundsport teams but Taiwan will have to sit out. That's the type of politics in today's world. While I recognize that RPH was commissioned for a trip abroad, music and art are facing a more complicated world today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Wonder how they will handle church services during Easter weekend.

There are a number of embassies (other than US) which maintain chaplains and even chapels on their embassy grounds. Sometimes they allow admittance for the purpose of worship on the special occasions if one pre-arranges it. Many of the domestics in the Arab upscale cities are actually from the Philippines where English is spoken. The Filipino communities support their own chapels and clergy in these cities..  .

A number of years back through my local church I was involved in packaging religious education material for the Grumman Aircraft Company whose workers and families were doing a several years gig in Saudia Arabia. They too benefited from the embassy chaplains and Filipino connections. Like most drum corps tours, another aspect that can be achieved but needs some pre-planning.

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Many of the domestics in the Arab upscale cities are actually from the Philippines where English is spoken. The Filipino communities support their own chapels and clergy in these cities..  .

Like most drum corps tours, another aspect that can be achieved but needs some pre-planning.

In 91 when our USAR unit was over there, the Turks provided most of the labor since Arabs didn't do hardly any manual labor.

From my observation over the years, I imagine more volunteers might make an effort to attend a religious service than the mm/staff.   The Battalion will probably again this year have the highest attendance at church services since they again will not compete on Sunday during their tour.

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

In 91 when our USAR unit was over there, the Turks provided most of the labor since Arabs didn't do hardly any manual labor.

From my observation over the years, I imagine more volunteers might make an effort to attend a religious service than the mm/staff.   The Battalion will probably again this year have the highest attendance at church services since they again will not compete on Sunday during their tour.

Pioneer takes a bus or two every Sunday to church for those who wish to go. Cavaliers still hold a good chunk of ST at a Benedictine abbey!!

In the era into the mid 90's, SCV, Cadets, Star all had clergy associated with their corps on staff in a variety of functions and titles. For instance, the Catholic priest at SCV manned the souvie booth when on tour; Zingali had a priest on call for both Cadets and Star. But back then, memberships were more local and adjustments were made for that. With the national and international memberships bringing a diversity in cultures, belief systems, and attitudes about Sabbath rest (whether Friday, Saturday, or Sunday based on various belief systems) some corps just dedicate a bit more down time for the MMs to use as self-determined. I know Box 7 Ministries (very Southern Protestant based) and CatholicCollegians are active privately among corps memberships. I'm not surprised Battalion reflects the culture and membership of its origin.

Edited by xandandl