Mandarins 2017 - Inside the Ink

This show has tons of super key awesome moments in it:

• That opener drill with the brass looking like they're ink coming out of the pens is so cool.  
    • And the brass at the end of that opening statement is SO tasty.  
  • The ballad is very cool, what the guard is doing with the black fabric is super cool and I could see them doing lots more there.  
    • And again, musically the climax of this is great.  
  • The Patsy Cline drum break......this is textbook amazing Ike Jackson, the way the vocals are woven in is SO WGI in the best of ways, it just works.  
    • Bringing him on......that was a fantastic move.  Not sure how they wrangled him away from The Academy but great pick up.  
  • The closing statement from that unison guard toss to the end is just oozing GE.......the Rorschach test drill is SUPER cool and clover.  
    • That guard, very strong.  I remember when they were by far the weakest caption of the corps.  

And there is still a ton of dirt for them to clean, tons of moments they could flesh out, and more.  This show has fantastic bones and members who are selling it, when they refine and start performing it they're gonna cook this year.  Not gonna make a prediction in terms of placement just yet (outside I think top 15) but wow.  SUPER cool show this year.  

• Like 5

I look forward very much to seeing this show.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Wow, page 8.  Really?

BUMP!

So it's been awhile since I've seen a recent video of the show, to the people who have had a chance to see it live, any changes?  Or are they just cleaning?  How are they doing?  

I saw them at their home show last night. They've strengthened the Rorschach inkblot test concept by adding a cacophonous voice asking "What do you see?" to open the show and it replays during a couple transitions. They've also added (from what I can tell) more characterization from the individual performers during pre-show (although maybe that's been there and I just didn't notice). They also added a slide from the top of one of the fountain pen tips, so the first "ink blot" guard member (the one who lets out the shriek) slides "out" of the pen tip. It's a pretty steep slide, so I hope that member will stay safe all season! They're definitely cleaning in the process. The brass is getting really solid. I noticed a couple of very small ensemble tears at the show yesterday, but that might have been nerves/excitement for the hometown crowd. Looked like there may have been some tweaking with guard layering during the all-rifle sequence in the percussion solo.

• Like 2

So much buzz about this show and for good reason.  I've said this before but I want to reiterate:  the LOOK OF THIS SHOW is absolutely stunning even if they didn't march, spin, toss, or play a note, which of course they DO so it just gets better from there.  Design Team gets an 11.  

Striking color scheme:  check

Props that are both integral to the show AND that look cool:  check

No visual clutter:  check

Aesthetically pleasing:  check

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mandarins tonight scored 79.700.

According to CorpsReps, they've only broken 80 pts. five times in their history:

Aug. 9, 2001 -- 80.850

Aug. 7, 2003 -- 80.300

Aug. 4, 2016 -- 80.700

Aug. 11, 2016 -- 81.000

Aug. 12, 2016 -- 81.200

Presumably we'll see the sixth occasion in the next few days.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Mandarins tonight scored 79.700.

According to CorpsReps, they've only broken 80 pts. five times in their history:

Aug. 9, 2001 -- 80.850

Aug. 7, 2003 -- 80.300

Aug. 4, 2016 -- 80.700

Aug. 11, 2016 -- 81.000

Aug. 12, 2016 -- 81.200

Presumably we'll see the sixth occasion in the next few days.

So happy for Mandarins and what they are achieving this year.  I became a HUGE fan in 2013 with their Destination America show.  Such a deserving corps.  They've paid their dues many times over.  This show should win a design award.  Brilliant.  And the MMs are killing it out there.  Nicely done.

• Like 3