Phantom Regiment 2017

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, BoaDci said:

I dont want to turn this into a BOA thread, but it seemed like Cartwright's work this past fall (Harrison, Dobyns Bennett, LD Bell, William Mason, etc...) all kind of had a very similar style- large guards, big moves and lots of flags.  It all blurs together.  You can definitely tell its his work, which is cool; Its good that he has an identity, but I dont like that he spreads it over the entirity of BOA (Which is my theory on why Broken Arrow might have let him go last fall).   He is a good addition to the Phantom staff, but Im afraid that he will just transition his work over. Im afraid he won't give Phantom's Guard a new, unique identity, which in my opinion is something Phantom needs right now.

At the same time, who in DCI currently has Cartwright's signature?  I mean, it would be unique for Phantom in DCI, and it's going to be at a higher level than BOA, so I dunno. I don't watch enough BOA shows to be able to make out Cartwright's work.

I do, however, like big moves and lots of flags in my drumcorps. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for Phantom's guard from now on!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

At the same time, who in DCI currently has Cartwright's signature?  I mean, it would be unique for Phantom in DCI, and it's going to be at a higher level than BOA, so I dunno. I don't watch enough BOA shows to be able to make out Cartwright's work.

I do, however, like big moves and lots of flags in my drumcorps. I'll definitely be keeping an eye for Phantom's guard from now on!

If it's coherent and competent, I'll be (mostly) happy!

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I do, however, like big moves and lots of flags in my drumcorps. I'll definitely be keeping an eye for Phantom's guard from now on!

I highly doubt he is gonna get involved with DCI and just do/suggest another one of his BOA type shows.  Maybe some elements but it'll be elevated on a MUCH higher level if there are some things he uses in both.  

They have been incredibly dull visually as of late, I'm hoping he can be a big influence there cause he knows how to make a show have a "look". 

I say be bold and go for it on a show.  Don't play it safe!  4 years of safe hasn't done much of anything.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I highly doubt he is gonna get involved with DCI and just do/suggest another one of his BOA type shows.  Maybe some elements but it'll be elevated on a MUCH higher level if there are some things he uses in both.  

They have been incredibly dull visually as of late, I'm hoping he can be a big influence there cause he knows how to make a show have a "look". 

I say be bold and go for it on a show.  Don't play it safe!  4 years of safe hasn't done much of anything.  

Very true.

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Similar comment for many corps during the off season going back several years.

yeah I get it. I marched and taught. But I what I mean is that I haven't seen this excitement from those involved with the corps in quite a while. 

we will see I guess

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

3 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

But I what I mean is that I haven't seen this excitement from those involved with the corps in quite a while. 

Those of us who have read and heard the same type info from the corps we're closest too, still have the burned scars.

• Like 1