Phantom Regiment 2017

Hopefully Phantom can get out of the metaphorical "pit" they've gotten themselves into post-2012. Like many other corps, Phantom has had eras of success followed by relatively low scores, then followed up by more success.

Here's a very scientific graph I made in MS Paint illustrating Phantom's success:

http://imgur.com/a/XOwrP

Blue Devils' success on the other hand...:

http://imgur.com/a/IRdGw

Edited by DawsonBurnes
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I must say, its hard to disagree with any of this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Hopefully Phantom can get out of the metaphorical "pit" they've gotten themselves into post-2012. Like many other corps, Phantom has had eras of success followed by relatively low scores, then followed up by more success.

Here's a very scientific graph I made in MS Paint illustrating Phantom's success:

http://imgur.com/a/XOwrP

Close, but those 'bumps' should look more like chevrons or something :)

• Like 1

On March 28, 2017 at 8:29 AM, hughesmr said:

Close, but those 'bumps' should look more like chevrons or something :)

Based on some hints from photos of the Regiment's February and March brass camps (energy, motion, conflict) + the mention a while back of the probability of some music from Jean Sibelius (specifically Finlandia) + the Regiment's affinity for Shostakovich, I would like to guess that the Regiment's 2017 program will be based on the War of 1939-40 between Finland and Russia, the 105 day invasion of Finland by Russia. I guess it will be entitled "Fire and Ice".

I envision a Wes Cartwright field presentation that echoes The Cadets' 2011 performance of "Between Angels and Demons", with the Regiment split into a large Red contingent and a smaller White/Ice contingent, with battles everywhere between the opposing forces. I further envision the 2017 uniforms to reflect these opposing colors. And I would expect a very active color guard to frame and enhance this constant action.

For music, I would anticipate the Russian/Fire to be exhibited by Shostakovich's "Suite of Finland Themes" and by "Novorossisk Chimes" aka as "Fire of Eternal Glory".

For Finland/Ice, I would hope for extracts from Sibelius' "Finlandia", "Karelia Suite" and his "Violin Concerto in D minor".

Maybe the Regiment could even invite Sarah Chang to participate in the latter piece as a guest performer.

This is purely conjecture on my part but it was fun to try to imagine a 2017 program based on just a few clues.

For followers of other corps which have not yet announced their 2017 programs, I invite you to do the same for your favorite corps.

Edited by 1956OPR
Research year of Cadets show and confirm Chang's first name.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

Based on some hints from photos of the Regiment's February and March brass camps (energy, motion, conflict) + the mention a while back of the probability of some music from Jean Sibelius (specifically Finlandia) + the Regiment's affinity for Shostakovich, I would like to guess that the Regiment's 2017 program will be based on the War of 1939-40 between Finland and Russia, the 105 day invasion of Finland by Russia. I guess it will be entitled "Fire and Ice".

I envision a Wes Cartwright field presentation that echoes The Cadets' 2011 performance of "Between Angels and Demons", with the Regiment split into a large Red contingent and a smaller White/Ice contingent, with battles everywhere between the opposing forces. I further envision the 2017 uniforms to reflect these opposing colors. And I would expect a very active color guard to frame and enhance this constant action.

For music, I would anticipate the Russian/Fire to be exhibited by Shostakovich's "Suite of Finland Themes" and by "Novorossisk Chimes" aka as "Fire of Eternal Glory".

For Finland/Ice, I would hope for extracts from Sibelius' "Finlandia", "Karelia Suite" and his "Violin Concerto in D minor".

Maybe the Regiment could even invite Sarah Chang to participate in the latter piece as a guest performer.

This is purely conjecture on my part but it was fun to try to imagine a 2017 program based on just a few clues.

For followers of other corps which have not yet announced their 2017 programs, I invite you to take do the same for your favorite corps.

I don't think I have ever seen red helmets on Phantom before.

Even BITD when guard commander wore the red jacket, the helmet and cape were black. This may be different. :bored:

Edited by xandandl

16 hours ago, 1956OPR said:

I definitely wouldn't mind this at all

On March 29, 2017 at 9:09 PM, 1956OPR said:

For followers of other corps which have not yet announced their 2017 programs, I invite you to take do the same for your favorite corps.

I doubt we will see Finlandia, or anything else Sibelius, on the field in '17.  Given how quiet PR is about this year's program, I doubt they let out any hints, especially anything with a title.  The Sibelius score previously glimpsed most likely is a concert or warm-up piece. 

Your guess on Shostakovich is a good one.  However, I have yet to read on this site any correct guess, by anyone, as to what any corps' upcoming show will be.  The most likely choice of music selected by most corps are any pieces not mentioned in a discussion thread regarding "music that corps should do."  

Edited by Land_Surfer

2 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

I doubt we will see Finlandia, or anything else Sibelius, on the field in '17.  Given how quiet PR is about this year's program, I doubt they let out any hints, especially anything with a title.  The Sibelius score previously glimpsed most likely is a concert or warm-up piece. 

Your guess on Shostakovich is a good one.  However, I have yet to read on this site any correct guess, by anyone, as to what any corps' upcoming show will be.  The most likely choice of music selected by most corps are any pieces not mentioned in a discussion thread regarding "music that corps should do."  

The piece they had showed the composer as 'sibelius/shostakovich' -  so I think it's from the show. I don't think they would mix it up for a concert piece, they would just play a single piece.

Also if I'm not mistaken, I believe it showed the title as 'part 1' ? Which again, indicates it's from the show. 

• Like 1