Phantom Regiment 2017

1 minute ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

And I think the design is much much better than anything post turandot :) 

We don't agree on that, but Turandot was such a great show. At the first show, that was in the theater, I thought they should have won. Such a great show. I knew from day one in 2012 that they had a real good shot at a medal.

• Like 1

Just now, henry7184 said:

We don't agree on that, but Turandot was such a great show. At the first show, that was in the theater, I thought they should have won. Such a great show. I knew from day one in 2012 that they had a real good shot at a medal.

Yes, i remember they were very clean even at the first show. Outstanding visual design. Musically I was pretty bored though - but still a great show overall. 

Just now, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

Yes, i remember they were very clean even at the first show. Outstanding visual design. Musically I was pretty bored though - but still a great show overall. 

Well Turandot is my favorite Puccini opera, so I loved it from the get go. I remember seeing a rehearsal video of them a week before the season started and thinking, "They are so good."

51 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

And what previous trajectories are you referring to? They haven't flown up the ranks, during a season, in a long time. They basically finished right were they started in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. There's really no trajectory to support your argument.

I really mean performance trajectory - I was mixing up my use of the word. They sound like a bag right now playing much more difficult stuff than they're used to. In previous years, the brass line has wound up with a competent performance. Speculation: maybe they had some juice left in the tank that they weren't using at the end of those seasons and that will certainly get used up with this year's show.

But ultimately, we currently differ on our opinions of this year's design. I think it has potential to let them rise up from their current position. 

4 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I really mean performance trajectory - I was mixing up my use of the word. They sound like a bag right now playing much more difficult stuff than they're used to. In previous years, the brass line has wound up with a competent performance. Speculation: maybe they had some juice left in the tank that they weren't using at the end of those seasons and that will certainly get used up with this year's show.

But ultimately, we currently differ on our opinions of this year's design. I think it has potential to let them rise up from their current position. 

That's ok. I might be wrong - been wrong a lot in my life. I love the hooded guard uniforms though. I wish they would all wear them and wear them throughout the opener.

4 hours ago, NakedEye said:

After all the hysterics about how awful the show is, I have to say that I really liked it, despite its current lack of polish. Last year was a snooze, but this one was really intriguing and engaging. I love the new uniforms and the fact that show wasn't as "pleasant" as the recent past. There were cool moments like the unraveling of the guard face coverings, etc. 

To me this has more potential than anything they've done in a while, they just need to get a handle on the demands. 

Don't agree with you, but hope for the best. it is not a great show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NakedEye said:

After all the hysterics about how awful the show is, I have to say that I really liked it, despite its current lack of polish. Last year was a snooze, but this one was really intriguing and engaging. I love the new uniforms and the fact that show wasn't as "pleasant" as the recent past. There were cool moments like the unraveling of the guard face coverings, etc. 

To me this has more potential than anything they've done in a while, they just need to get a handle on the demands. 

Except there's way to much carrying on with changing unifors, helmets, ect.  No necessary

2 hours ago, war eagle said:

Except there's way to much carrying on with changing unifors, helmets, ect.  No necessary

I agree. The helmets don't add anything and just look like a big mess where they are placed on the field for much of the show. Uniform changes I don't think are a strength of Regiment. 2014 looked like they were changing unis behind a bunch of hefty trash bags. 2012 was the only time I've seen a uniform change work so well for Regiment. IMO, it's not a good thing.

• Like 1