Phantom Regiment 2017

13 hours ago, BoaDci said:

People need to give Regiment time.  They have alot of great things and the show has potential.  Will Pitts has written a great and difficult brass book.  Cartwright is doing great things witht the guard.  This show like BD, needs time to mature.  Just because a show is super clean early season doesnt mean it will do well at championships.  I appreciate the late peakers, those are the best to watch, which is what PR is doing this year.

I appreciate late peakers too, but by and large you finish where you start out, or lower, in today's DCI. It's all about design - you either have it, or you don't. End of.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I appreciate late peakers too, but by and large you finish where you start out, or lower, in today's DCI. It's all about design - you either have it, or you don't. End of.

And if some corps are finishing lower than where they start that means some corps must finish higher than where they start. Hence, literally what you're saying with this comment is "Some corps stay in the same place they start and some corps move." This is a complete non-statement, and it is then followed by another affirmation that you think the show design is bad- something you have already indicated numerous times on this thread. At this point you've managed to make a number of posts that can all, as a whole, be summarized as "I think this show design is bad" and, to me, really, really just feels like negativity for the sake of negativity now. Honestly, we know you don't like the show design; there is no need for you to continue to parrot this opinion at us over and over.

I know this post comes off as quite harsh, but I think no less harsh than you have been to the corp in any of your posts. 

• Like 2

Despite my comments on Sunday I DO think there is a show here that could do well.  The difficulty level is so high that I just wonder IF they'll get it clean enough.  I think if they simplify some things and bring some clarity it'll potentially shine. 

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jagula said:

And if some corps are finishing lower than where they start that means some corps must finish higher than where they start. Hence, literally what you're saying with this comment is "Some corps stay in the same place they start and some corps move." This is a complete non-statement, and it is then followed by another affirmation that you think the show design is bad- something you have already indicated numerous times on this thread. At this point you've managed to make a number of posts that can all, as a whole, be summarized as "I think this show design is bad" and, to me, really, really just feels like negativity for the sake of negativity now. Honestly, we know you don't like the show design; there is no need for you to continue to parrot this opinion at us over and over.

I know this post comes off as quite harsh, but I think no less harsh than you have been to the corp in any of your posts. 

If you think his posts on here are bad you should see the posts he made on the Cadets thread 

My theory is he does it for the attention. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If you think his posts on here are bad you should see the posts he made on the Cadets thread 

My theory is he does it for the attention. 

Oh, I've seen them...

Edited by Jagula
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jagula said:

What I meant to say is you don't start out around 10th place and finish 6th in today's DCI. You may move up 1 or 2 places, unlike back in the day when you could lose to someone in June and by finals you're 1st and they're 10th (Spirit and Garfield 1987). That just doesn't happen anymore.

That's the problem here - people get their undies all in bunch when someone criticizes a show or corps they like. I don't think it's for the sake of being negative. We are having a discussion after all.

I also said I actually like the drill design a lot (many times) but it is my opinion that a drill designed like that does not succeed in today's DCI. This show is too old school IMO. Look at what Bluecoats, BD, Crown and SCV (to name a few are doing). 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Despite my comments on Sunday I DO think there is a show here that could do well.  The difficulty level is so high that I just wonder IF they'll get it clean enough.  I think if they simplify some things and bring some clarity it'll potentially shine. 

I'd agree. I think something everyone can agree on is that by finals every corps wants to be clean - and they should be clean. So, what "I" would do is set a demarcation point, some date in the summer, perhaps the first regional (I don't know, just saying that as an example), that if certain areas are not clean by that time, at least clean enough to where progress is being made measurably, then we start to water it down/pair down/simplify as needed - again with the goal being to put a challenging show on the field, but one the performers can achieve.

I think people hit the panic button too soon...some things need time to click...however, there also comes a time when it is time to make changes - and I am sure the corps leadership is also aware of this - the question is, for each corps, when is that point reached? Is it a certain time frame, or is it when you see corps moving away from you on the judging sheets...

Edited by JKT90
added content
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That's exactly it. Thank you for giving me the attention. I also had the balls to go onto the Cadets thread and admit I was completely wrong in my judgement of the Cadets show. So there.

1 minute ago, henry7184 said:

What I meant to say is you don't start out around 10th place and finish 6th in today's DCI. You may move up 1 or 2 places, unlike back in the day when you could lose to someone in June and by finals you're 1st and their 10th (Spirit and Garfield 1987). That just doesn't happen anymore.

That's the problem here - people get their undies all in bunch when someone criticizes a show or corps they like. I don't think it's for the sake of being negative. We are having a discussion after all.

I also said I actually like the drill design a lot (many times) but it is my opinion that a drill designed like that does not succeed in today's DCI. It's 2017, not 1984.

Or you could rephrase - you don't want them to risk getting "slotted".