Phantom Regiment 2017

37 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

If you have a Facebook, join the "Drum & Bugle Corps from 2000 to Present Day" group. There are good videos of a bunch of shows including 2017 Phantom 

Okay, saw the vid from Stanford. I still don't get the criticism that was thrown at this group on the Stanford thread. 

I do agree with the chatter about the transition from black helmets to white. I think that needs some work, including making it clear why it's being done in the first place. The dark and light characters cross paths during the ballad - they didn't jaw or pull hair or anything, so not sure what's going on there. 

Has anyone heard the design perspective on the show?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Not scoring well. Still lots of dirty, esp. snares.

hope they clean up well....Good Luck to PR.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, RetiredMusTeach said:

Yea for you saying all this so very, very well!  I figured that having lost most of their veteran horn line this year, this would be a rebuilding year.  Well, if this is a rebuilding year, they are using titanium building blocks because musically it is great!  Ragged, yes, but it's early and probably the horn line is young.  But did you hear the tubas?  Holy cow, those guys can play!  And a gorgeous, melancholy solo.  Just so wonderfully musically rich.  I can't believe everyone is picking them apart.  Hang in there Phantom Regiment - I am looking forward to how this show is going to grow and mature. 

You are spot on regarding the Tubas!  I should have mentioned that.  I firmly believe this will be a huge step forward year for Regiment!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Usually Mistified said:

Correct - Phantom and the Cadets still must be on video lock-down!

apparently

How would you interpret the scores from last night? Looking at visual - content was like 71and achievement around 63...is it the show is dirty and has a lot of potential to make up ground, or, it's beyond what they can achieve and needs to be watered? BK was like 68/65 yet PR was .1 behind in total GE. Trying to get a better grasp on how to read the sheets. 

44 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

How would you interpret the scores from last night? Looking at visual - content was like 71and achievement around 63...is it the show is dirty and has a lot of potential to make up ground, or, it's beyond what they can achieve and needs to be watered? BK was like 68/65 yet PR was .1 behind in total GE. Trying to get a better grasp on how to read the sheets. 

Basically, it means that insofar as GE is concerned, BK and Phantom are on par at the moment from an overall design and performance standpoint ( music/ visual), but on the visual side, Phantom is behind BK on performer execution at the moment. We can't tell from this if it needs watering down, or more practice time, or perhaps a combo of both. BK might be a bit concerned with their Visual Design scores at the moment ( Visual- Analysis ) as both Phantom & Mandarins topped them in this last nite. Phantom finished behind both BK and Mandarins in Guard, but 1 tenth either way isn't too much concern at the moment, imo. Phantom's percussion scores however look strong at the moment within their overall Corps peer group ( 6th-9th )  The biggest concern for Phantom Regiment right now is their brass line., and their brass line scores. Pretty much the entire point difference between Phantom and BK at the moment can be attributed to just one caption... Brass. Phantom was 1.1 behind BK overall last nite, and 1.2 points behind BK in Brass caption alone. Thats a lot at the moment. But.. this provides opportunities too for Phantom, if they can improve that over the next 6 weeks or so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

I don't recall seeing any scores with that large of a gap between Content and Achievement. Guess that means judges recognize difficulty but they aren't pulling it off yet. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 5:54 PM, henry7184 said:

We'll see who's full of it when Regiment is sitting in 10th to 12th come finals. Enjoy it. Ignoring you now. Done with this thread.

Exactly why I only visit DCP every once in a while. Just a bunch of folks that may never have even marched in a top 12 corps giving their opinions when it really doesn't matter. The alums have set the stage in history and the kids out there now are the ones doing the work. Let the members enjoy their summer, the chips fall where they may, and just enjoy the shows. Gee Whiz! 

Edited by fatbrassboy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

Exactly why I only visit DCP every once in a while. Just a bunch of folks that may never have even marched in a top 12 corps giving their opinions when it really doesn't matter. The alums and the kids out there now are the ones doing the work. Let the chips fall where they may and just enjoy the shows. Gee Whiz! 

It's not even that this forum is that bad.  Out of the hundreds of posters I see here all the time, just one or two ruin it for everybody.  The guy you just quoted has been completely insensitive to not only other peoples opinions, but the corps itself.  Ive seen him on many threads just hop on, hate on someone's opinion, then say that corps is gonna miss finals or something stupid.  The top 12 corps thing you said is uncalled for.  As long as nobody is hating on a corps or their members it is fine.  Most of the time, if someone goes overboard they get called out on it.  No matter what most of the posters on this site have a love for drum corps, and sometimes they go crazy on other corps because of it.  Either way, I hope you can give this forum another chance, because as much bad happens on this forum, there is way more good.

• Like 4