Phantom Regiment 2017

Quick observation from DCI Lebanon IL-

As a phantom alum, I was glad to be entertained again by Phantom this year after a very lackluster show in 16. They have modernized their approach obvioiusly and I think they will be on the rise again ......I'm sure its a hard balance between relevancy/tradition and I do appreciate they stick to their history of classical music w a modern twist these days.

I think they make a push in the next year or two.  This year I'm not sure this show could rise above 7th or so. They are definitely a step above Madison, but a significant gap between PR and the elite right now. Horns were good and agree that this show has a lot to clean and will only improve as the season goes on. PR received a much better reception this year than the polite applause given to them last year.

Onwards.......

the dog

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Hrmph, I liked the white dresses...

This was a rehearsal video so they could still be there but I would assume with a flag they're probably not doing any work with them or they would have had some kind of practice skirt on.  

Edited by DrumManTx

Just now, DrumManTx said:

This was a rehearsal video so they could still be there but I would assume with a flag they're probably not doing any work with them.  

Yeah, I just checked out the video you're referencing. I liked the dress-as-flag look, and also the ending with a light color. 

The drill also seems to be not so interesting, but I'm sure that's just mid-July drill. :)

Not sure which rehearsal video we're talking about, but I just found the one below and while I'm not happy about the front sideline mics at all, the blend of the brass is sounding a lot better now 

Percussion throwing down. Very Nice!

Edited by tim_brandt
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 5:01 AM, Western Burger said:

I just watched them as well. The brassline is really moving throughout the whole show.  I think it's great that they stepped up the difficulty, but I hope they can overcome this drill to put some power behind them.  The low brass sounds weak at times, but that might have just been the recording I was watching.

I've thought the same thing about the low brass this year. Definitely not as strong as PR usually is. It would be awesome if they could get a professional like Robert Nunez, Regiment alum. He the the principal tuba players for the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra in NOLA and works with the Stars low brass. He's got the reputation  of being an amazing teacher.

Edited by fatbrassboy