Phantom Regiment 2017

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

They look and sound like a marching band.  

Well I would hope so. If a corps didn't sound like a marching band, I'd be worried 

2 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

They look and sound like a marching band.  

I saw them live and didn't hear any clarinet, flute, or saxophone which are in marching bands.  Perhaps my musical training has gone down the tubes!  Yes, most competitive marching bands use sabres, rifles, flags, and have a decent size pit.  So perhaps this would qualify as being similar to a marching band.  

• Like 2

I have no problem with this show, though I will concede that it does not seem to be along the same lines as what the top 3 ( or 4, maybe 5) are doing. I think this show would've been very competitive in the 90's, moderately competitive in the mid-00's, but with what is happening today in drum corps, Blast style shows are what's in....maybe. It may change tomorrow. Who knows? 

I dig the show though, for what it's worth.

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 1

Show isn't bad at all.  Frankly they are suffering from the ADD of music composition like every other corps is doing for the most part.  You don't need a #### drum/pit break every 24 counts.  Please for the love of God complete a musical thought as an ENSEMBLE and quit leaning on synth and pit and percussion so heavily.  I mean it's not just Regiment doing it but for goodness sake 24-48 counts playing...drum break while we scatter drill...play loud.  Repeat.  I dig it to a point but seriously it's like watching the Chicago Bears run, run, pass,  punt.  I understand they require everyone to have trombones now to get the score but really...what is the point?  IMHO there are just taking up space in this show.  I mean it entertaining and I "get it" but we need to get a new formula.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Well I would hope so. If a corps didn't sound like a marching band, I'd be worried 

Really?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Really?  

Yup! Newsflash: drum corps are marching bands!!! They march in formations while playing instruments :guinesssmilie:

Acting offended over that categorization is simply arrogance/elitism. I have friends in several different corps and they've all told me that most members in current corps refer to themselves as bands. Scandalous, I know. 

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Yup! Newsflash: drum corps are marching bands!!! They march in formations while playing instruments :guinesssmilie:

Acting offended over that categorization is simply arrogance/elitism. I have friends in several different corps and they've all told me that most members in current corps refer to themselves as bands. Scandalous, I know. 

Get new friends.:spitting:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Show isn't bad at all.  Frankly they are suffering from the ADD of music composition like every other corps is doing for the most part.  You don't need a #### drum/pit break every 24 counts.  Please for the love of God complete a musical thought as an ENSEMBLE and quit leaning on synth and pit and percussion so heavily.  I mean it's not just Regiment doing it but for goodness sake 24-48 counts playing...drum break while we scatter drill...play loud.  Repeat.  I dig it to a point but seriously it's like watching the Chicago Bears run, run, pass,  punt.  I understand they require everyone to have trombones now to get the score but really...what is the point?  IMHO there are just taking up space in this show.  I mean it entertaining and I "get it" but we need to get a new formula.

Sadly, drum corps ADD has been around for so long, people (not me) have gotten use to it. The talents of these brass players is being wasted on charts that have them playing, what, 1/2 the show? Everyone has sectional features that, IMO, are so over used they are generally not entertaining. Standing and playing. boring! This isn't the 70's. Move your butts!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Sadly, drum corps ADD has been around for so long, people (not me) have gotten use to it. The talents of these brass players is being wasted on charts that have them playing, what, 1/2 the show? Everyone has sectional features that, IMO, are so over used they are generally not entertaining. Standing and playing. boring! This isn't the 70's. Move your butts!

I agree.

Now divide that tour fee and transportation to camps and ST fees into the total number of minutes actually playing (and perhaps moving) and the eyes really open wide?  Amazing, huh?

• Like 1