Phantom Regiment 2017

On 7/31/2017 at 3:03 AM, FancySnack said:

Hey friends - I saw PR's show for the first time tonight - great job to the whole corps, really enjoyed the hornline as always - and I was wondering if someone could offer me a quick explanation of you think it's about. I scrolled through a bunch of the thread here but I wasn't able to find thoughts on the show concept.

Good question.  It's about fantasy - which I get.   After seeing the show live, not sure exactly what the context of "fantasy" the corps is referring to on the field.   

Can anyone explain what the fantasy is?

Here is a synopsis of the show:

ACT 1: Dark forces are in control of the corps, changing their normal white to black. It affects everything from their persona to the music. This act contains some of the most frenetic field movement and guard work. It is meant to make us feel unbalanced and confused, as is the corps in their struggle against the dark force.

ACT 2: The corps fights to regain who they are. You will notice a lot of struggle for control over the dark forces, resulting in the appearance of the light force as the Rachmaninov begins. You will note that the music moves from dark, atonal at times (quite unlike what we associate with Regiment), to a beautiful ballad in a major key.

ACT 3: The corps begins to win control as the battle rages, with the corps finally breaking the "spell," reflected in the white helmets, white guard units, and the bright flag design. Even the music reflects the beautiful, romantic/classical genre PR is known for.

It's really pretty straightforward when you pay close attention. Watch it again and you will see.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Here is a synopsis of the show:

ACT 1: Dark forces are in control of the corps, changing their normal white to black. It affects everything from their persona to the music. This act contains some of the most frenetic field movement and guard work. It is meant to make us feel unbalanced and confused, as is the corps in their struggle against the dark force.

ACT 2: The corps fights to regain who they are. You will notice a lot of struggle for control over the dark forces, resulting in the appearance of the light force as the Rachmaninov begins. You will note that the music moves from dark, atonal at times (quite unlike what we associate with Regiment), to a beautiful ballad in a major key.

ACT 3: The corps begins to win control as the battle rages, with the corps finally breaking the "spell," reflected in the white helmets, white guard units, and the bright flag design. Even the music reflects the beautiful, romantic/classical genre PR is known for.

It's really pretty straightforward when you pay close attention. Watch it again and you will see.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Thank you for taking the time to write that.   That does help and I will think about that when I see PR next.    I must say that I was confused about the white helmets on the back corner and the red guard members.  I dion't think I would have made the connection of the red guard members represeting dark forces - and dark forces being a fantasy as the narrative suggests in the show.   Having said that, I look forward to seeing the show again.   I like the music.  Now, perhaps having a better understanding of what they are expressing on the field, I can gain a little more from the presentation.

• Like 2

Any buzz on final changes and focus while in their usual lockdown the week before Allentown?  I'm excited to see the corps and all the progress since the Stanford show!

Harvey

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Yeah, but how does the "fantasy," "illusion," "beauty," etc. reinforce the narrative?

I can only say that the information on the theme is what I heard Will tell the MM's as they were reviewing video of the show. I can't comment on the narration, because I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Sounds like drag to me. "Feeling the fantasy"

You gotta love how this forum always sinks to the lowest common denominator.