Phantom Regiment 2017

12 hours ago, JAZZER said:

Please elaborate to clarify for me. Do you just not like the literature or the delivery/performance of "most of the top"? Or both? 

I elaborated on the favorite 2017 shows thread, but it's certainly NOT performance, which is insanely good.  

It's the awful writing & design, with things mic'd that don't need to be, extreme abuse of amping synths & some brass parts, choppy arrangements with needless quick drum breaks, voice-overs (even Phantom is guilty of that), and a lack of extended, complete musical thoughts.  Also the lack of moving while playing difficult demand is really sad to me.  Way too much park & bark.  If I take Cavaliers, for example, I can't remember ONE musical thing they did.  All I remember is wanting the voiceovers to STOP.

I'm not particularly old school, and I've enjoyed a ton of top 6 shows in the last few years.  I just think the shark has been jumped this year - with all the stunts and bells & whistles overwhelming the passion & music - and the drill - that makes me love Drum Corps.  This is far more true within the top 7 than it is for the rest.

just my 2 cents.

Harvey

• Like 5

On 8/5/2017 at 5:26 PM, George Dixon said:

Gang - just dropping in to say REGIMENT get's my vote for most improved corps of 2017!!

Great show last night :)

I respect your vote, but my choice would be the Boston Crusaders.  They're a total turn around from 2016.  They stand out in mind as the Most Improved.

3 minutes ago, cavies79 said:

I respect your vote, but my choice would be the Boston Crusaders.  They're a total turn around from 2016.  They stand out in mind as the Most Improved.

I think he means improved from the beginning of the season until now, not from last year to this year. They sure have come a long, long way from their west coast tour.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cavies79 said:

Most improved from last year = BAC. 

But most improved within this year = Phantom. 

This show had the goods early on but was crazy rough. They've done a great job cleaning 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

"Will Pitts is doing a good job writing a book that sort of harkens back to the classic Phantom sound, but he isn't no JD Shaw." 

Well, there is ONLY ONE JD!  Loved his arrangements since I first heard them in DCI in 2002.  He's been around the activity - like many, a while, and love what he has done with the brass out West (still wish it was w/Phantom tho). Will Pitts is a very fine composer, mostly wind ensemble and concert band - and i think it'll take him a few seasons to get "the corps sound" under his belt at Regiment.  We'll see who they retain in the off season!  BRASS STAFF is a key element -- hope all stay!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 3:13 PM, phd-student-TTU said:

I thought he was dropping out of the creative team?

21 hours ago, war eagle said:

apparently he hasn't totally.  still the same ole PR formula, especially the sappy ballard with the damsel in distress running around chasing her man.  and always the sections put in groups and doing their thing. 

It's so much better as a whole but needs to break the mould.  And for god's sake, this is not a flag show.  tone them down.

and i do appreciate the field not being littered with stuff.  still don't get the effect of the helmet change. not necessary.

do you know this for sure, or are you just pretending to know what you're talking about? Because that's against everything I've heard from people actually involved. 

I have my own criticisms of the show, but the flag work is great. 

• Like 1

Can't wait to see Phantom & everyone else tomorrow.  Living Phantom's underscored guard this year.  Keep cleaning & refining that brass sound Regiment!

• Like 1