Phantom Regiment 2017

The guard isn't clean right now - because this is the most difficult book they've had in years.  Coupled with the fact that they are probably still learning work - means it will take them longer to get clean, but the written book is there - and that needs to be the starting point.  The last couple of years, their work was "pretty" which wasn't hard enough o really compete come August.

I think this is their best show in a while and if they clean it up - will be very competitive at DCI !

later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 5

On 6/24/2017 at 8:49 PM, war eagle said:

oh i see.  well it's a far cry from what they have been doing

Do we want to see Phantom do what Scouts is now doing? Maybe we do. Personally, I would rather see them do what SCV is doing, something that doesn't feel like their last 10 shows. Yes it's more complex, but to what end? When they performed in Nashville last year it was a little embarrassing seeing the crowd reaction, it was almost polite applause and totally forgettable.

Phantom was one of the corps that got me hooked on drum corps. I still think they can and should be relevant. But why can't they do something fresh and dare I say it fun?

• Like 1

IF ( a BIG IF) they are going to shoot for the "effect" of the storyline behind the "Phantasm" theme -- then need SOMETHING/ANYTHING that resembles a mirror! that would be killer!  Can you imagine the visual effect with sunlight/stadium lights if used 'correctly'?  And..... the Khachaturian piece def needs MORE BASS... I do so earnestly hope that Regiment's designers/caption heads consider adding some 'organ' synth or midi... the musical additions of that would far exceed anyone's realization of this piece!  Not to mention the climactic ending the symphonic score has WITH IT!

Need proof?  Listen to this!  

Not much I can say after listening to this about 100 times since PR announced they were doing this piece!   WOW!  IF, a BIG "IF" Regiment decides to incorporate the organ part in any facet or shape -- O M G!!   And, cutting the size of the hornline to add color guard is not making sense to me right now.  Regiment's brass is their hallmark and some of the pieces chosen are technically difficult (not saying the talent isn't there) but it needs SIZE and SCOPE (meaning more horns), but who am I?  No one important in PR's scope of performance .... 

Sopranos a bit ragged -- could have been the heat, BUT... the Kach 3 could have so much better impact IF they chose the actual 'ending' of the piece.... we shall see...

It's a shame that PR isn't able to attract top talent anymore.  I suppose they will have to totally rebuild the program to be competitive again.   As far as the show design, I was terribly disappointed with the visual design.  It had notthing new and in fact wasn't even as good as some of the high shcool shows Cartwright has done.  Makes one wonder why.

The guard needs to go back to flags 101.  There is no excuse for flag work not being cleaner than it is at this point. 

15 minutes ago, war eagle said:

It's a shame that PR isn't able to attract top talent anymore.  I suppose they will have to totally rebuild the program to be competitive again.   As far as the show design, I was terribly disappointed with the visual design.  It had notthing new and in fact wasn't even as good as some of the high shcool shows Cartwright has done.  Makes one wonder why.

The guard needs to go back to flags 101.  There is no excuse for flag work not being cleaner than it is at this point. 

I think you are being a bit dramatic. This is definitely their best effort as a whole package since 2012. Yes, talent isn't what they used to have, that's what happens when you are finishing consistently 8th/9th rather than top 5. But to get back near the top you have to start somewhere and I think they are in a good place for that. I see a lot of layering happening, and not a ton of major changes outside of the ending. Spartacus sucked complete ### at the beginning of the season (yes, different design team, but the point stands). Let's see where this goes a bit before we get dramatic. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

I think you are being a bit dramatic. This is definitely their best effort as a whole package since 2012. Yes, talent isn't what they used to have, that's what happens when you are finishing consistently 8th/9th rather than top 5. But to get back near the top you have to start somewhere and I think they are in a good place for that. I see a lot of layering happening, and not a ton of major changes outside of the ending. Spartacus sucked complete ### at the beginning of the season (yes, different design team, but the point stands). Let's see where this goes a bit before we get dramatic. 

After all the hysterics about how awful the show is, I have to say that I really liked it, despite its current lack of polish. Last year was a snooze, but this one was really intriguing and engaging. I love the new uniforms and the fact that show wasn't as "pleasant" as the recent past. There were cool moments like the unraveling of the guard face coverings, etc. 

To me this has more potential than anything they've done in a while, they just need to get a handle on the demands. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

I don't know if I would go that far. 2013 was a well designed and good show in my opinion. I was disappointed with the brass and guard last night (I know nothing about drums). The drill is literally right out of 1984, which I liked because it was very readable (something we see less and less today), but I do not think it's going to do well with the judges because of that.

It seems Regiment decided the answer to their recent drops in placement was making the show visually demanding, but it's more demand for the sake of demand. The drill isn't anything special and there's nothing that really wows you. I can say that about almost everyone these days, so we will see. The same can be said for the show musically. I was quite bored honestly, but I felt that way about the 2nd half of BK and the entire Academy show too.

Phantom needs to do what Madison is doing this year - totally modernize and give us something way outside of the norm for them. Will Madison be successful, I don't know. But Regiment seems to still be stuck in the past. Calling the show Phantasm and the choice of repertoire were the first clues that this was going to be a show still stuck in the past.

I also would compare the start of the 2008 season to the start of the 2017 season. Spartacus never sucked at the beginning of the season. You could see the great potential that show had from the get go. In fact, Regiment started 2008 right on the heals of the Cavaliers and well ahead of Crown. It was mid-season when they placed 4th, not early season. They really added to the show to make it great, but the potential was there from the very beginning. I don't see much potential with the 2017 show, and I would expect them to place 10th to 12th. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1