What are you looking forward to this summer? Go

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya, we didn't get much this winter either. Best winter since I've lived here!!! LOL

I'll trade ya! (from today's NWS forecast): "Severe thunderstorms will likely develop over portions of Texas and Oklahoma this afternoon into tonight. Very large hail, destructive winds, isolated tornadoes, and heavy downpours will be the main threats. Heavy rain could lead to localized flash flooding concerns." 

The DFW area got baseball sized hail a couple of days ago. San Antonio had some last spring. (Local roofing companies still haven't caught up with the back log.) Last year, one of my coworkers had her two week old car totaled by hail. Last month our house was hit by lightning, which blew out a TV and PS4 among other things. (As I was checking up in the attic to make sure there wasn't a fire, our cell phone alerts kicked in for the tornado warning. Once I got downstairs I could hear the #### thing going by...)

I'll trade some fluffy white stuff for all the crazy we've lately. (Just a little, though.)

Anyways, I think one of those predicted 35 mph wind gusts just made one of our trash cans head down the street, gotta go track it down....  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, year1buick said:

I'll trade ya! (from today's NWS forecast): "Severe thunderstorms will likely develop over portions of Texas and Oklahoma this afternoon into tonight. Very large hail, destructive winds, isolated tornadoes, and heavy downpours will be the main threats. Heavy rain could lead to localized flash flooding concerns." 

The DFW area got baseball sized hail a couple of days ago. San Antonio had some last spring. (Local roofing companies still haven't caught up with the back log.) Last year, one of my coworkers had her two week old car totaled by hail. Last month our house was hit by lightning, which blew out a TV and PS4 among other things. (As I was checking up in the attic to make sure there wasn't a fire, our cell phone alerts kicked in for the tornado warning. Once I got downstairs I could hear the #### thing going by...)

I'll trade some fluffy white stuff for all the crazy we've lately. (Just a little, though.)

Anyways, I think one of those predicted 35 mph wind gusts just made one of our trash cans head down the street, gotta go track it down....  :)

I've been watching the tornado coverage on The Weather Channel..... scary stuff.  Stay safe!

I am looking most forward to the same thing as every year. Prelims on Thursday of finals week. The most amazing day of the year. 35-40 plus corps performing at their best level of the year. Also looking forward to 10-15 live shows, 10-12 live broadcasts, and having a blast catching up with old friends during the summer.

I am really hoping the level of shows is as entertaining as last year. At quarterfinals last year and live shows during the season, and live feeds, and youtube videos of corps not attending any of those, my wife and I enjoyed every single corps performance. There are many years where we don't enjoy possibly one of two corps. But last year from top to bottom, every corps had great music, and so many great shows with great performances. Best year ever in my opinion.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2017 at 2:34 PM, bass5 said:

Having a beer with THIRDCOAST at the Drums On Parade pre-show tailgate.

You can count on that, Whitewater, Warsaw, LaCrosse, Cedarburg, Madison,  Minnesota showdown. 

Tickets are on sale,  just saying 

I already have mine. The Madison show sold out in 2016.

We are going to have to get a bigger stadium for 2018. hmm.

• Like 1

I look forward to watching kids give everything they have - and leave it on the field.  What can compare to that?  

• Like 2

On 3/27/2017 at 8:13 PM, Brass34 said:

More generally though, I want to see how corps will respond in a post-Downside Up world

Good point. I'm looking forward to this response, too. And hoping it is a thoughtful, considered response. Not a flash-in-the-pan jump on a trend response.

Edited by mjoakes
Took out a "very" where it wasn't needed.

Well what I've heard, been told, and has been announced (or hasn't)...it seems like it's going to be a particularly fantastic summer for musical selections and just fun shows top to bottom.  

Looking forward to seeing what the slew of new and revived corps in Open Class can do.  Columbians and The Battalion particularly have my interest piqued as future stars.  Southwind is coming back to championships for the first time in a decade!  River City Rhythm is a new corps I've really enjoyed.  Shadow was fun last year.  Guardians and Louisiana Stars are tearing it up for new corps.  Raiders had new life last year, fantastic little corps.  Music City and 7th Regiment always put on shows I enjoy, the former really blossoming musically as of late.  Spartans are always fun.  Legends get my most improved award for the last two years, they're exploding and that show last year was an absolute blast.  Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B seem to be pushing eachother every year, the latter putting on what I think might be my favorite Open Class show of all time last year. And then there's our guests from England!  Super excited to see how The Company does.  Their production design every year is fantastic.  

In World Class Pioneer has had two great shows the last two years, despite their placements and scores I think they're on an upswing.  Seattle Cascades have been an absolute delight the last three seasons, can't wait to see them.  I thought Pacific Crest was great last year, excited to see them again.  We've got a new World Class corps in Genesis, and their announced show seems like it's going to be an absolute treat to listen to.  Oregon Crusaders once again are pegged as a show I can't wait to hear, I love Enigma Variations and mixed with some other completely odd ball stuff I can't wait.  Mandarins announced show is just a downright cool theme.  Colts and Troopers are always fun to watch.  Madison Scouts always seem to bounce back into finals after missing.  Boston Crusaders have all their changes so who knows what to expect there.  The Academy was an absolute pleasure last year, I hope they started a new chapter of finalist status.  Crossmen are coming off their best finish in well over a decade.  Blue Stars have slowly but surely been making progress and I loved the show last year, and what little I've heard of this years seems fantastic.  Phantom Regiment brought on Wes Cartright, who knows what he's gonna bring with him.  Blue Knights have all the ingredients for greatness, just putting the right show together away from exploding.  The Cadets are completely revamped staff wise, and with rumors of Bernstein it's a match made in heaven.  The Cavaliers were a fan favorite and had their best show in 5 years last year, and kept the staff together.  Morale seems really strong and that can be as important as the show you pick some times.  Santa Clara Vanguard like Blue Knights has all the right things there for a fantastic show and they're celebrating a  huge anniversary for an organization.  Carolina Crown had a bunch of staff changes, something fresh perhaps?  Blue Devils are always the Blue Devils, coming off a loss they're always on fire and paired with an Anniversary?  Watch out.  And then Bluecoats coming off their first win.  They've been my favorite corps for awhile now.   Who knows what to expect there.  

Got my tickets to San Antonio today and I'm looking at Broken Arrow/and or Denton/Belton as well.  

Lots lots lots to be excited about top to bottom!  Gonna experience as many shows as I can...

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Taking someone who has never been to drum corps to a competition and watch the look on their face when they realize what they've been missing. 

• Like 3