1 hour ago, corpsband said:

the most important thing about heat illness is AWARENESS and EDUCATION.

participants need to monitor each other.

instructors need to understand how to assess conditions on the practice field and alter their normal routines appropriately.

everyone needs to understand how to get and remain properly hydrated.

heat stroke deaths are entirely preventable if everyone is educated properly.

If you don't objectt, CB, I will open a new thread based on your comments and a professional study from two local university medical schools relative to hydration and strenuous activities like drum corps tours. Stay tuned. The sttudy results, conclusions, and advice was only released this week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

And this is why our forefathers gave us DCI finals in Whitewater Wisconsin. They had a lot of wisdom and we should have listened to them. Yes, all regionals should be relocated from Texas and Georgia and other such nasty summer places, to the more agreeable moderate climates of Wisconsin 

While I concur, you selectively omit the mini-tornado that evacuated the field and stadium just prior to the announcement of the the last two scores at Finals at first Whitewater nor did you mention that the State "bird" happens to be the mosquito, well abundant in the Janesville to Ft. Atkinson corridor of the Kettle Moraine. :whistle:

IMHO the awareness factor is a big deal.  Raising your internal temp to above 104 doesn't just happen in a few minutes.  So recognizing early onset symptoms in yourself and in your fellow members allows early intervention and avoids more serious consequences. Even in the worst case (heat stroke) rapid intervention makes a tremendous difference.  Knowing what to look for and how to respond is critical;  

Even so I still agree with Stu that Las Vegas is  really not a very good show site.  Average daily high is 106o in July.  Field turf temps are at least 10o higher.  Low humidity increases the rate of dehydration.  It's just not an ideal rehearsal environment.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, corpsband said:

Nope.  Education and Awareness lead to proper behavior.  No two ways about it.  Learn and Apply.  Simple.  

Awareness and education does not necessarily produce proper behavior.  I can point to a plethora of situations where people who are aware and educated on the harm they can do their bodies and still choose to ignore that information and behave against that awareness and education.

6 hours ago, ouooga said:

Based on Stu's insights, I'm concerned the Raiders are going to die.

If the Radiers engage in two-a-days outside, in Las Vagas, in July and August, (which wouild be akin to how DCI corps rehearse during those months) then yeah, I am concerned that some of them would develop serious heat related injuries or even die.  But something tells me that the Radiers are smarter than that.

4 hours ago, corpsband said:

IMHO the awareness factor is a big deal.  Raising your internal temp to above 104 doesn't just happen in a few minutes.  So recognizing early onset symptoms in yourself and in your fellow members allows early intervention and avoids more serious consequences. Even in the worst case (heat stroke) rapid intervention makes a tremendous difference.  Knowing what to look for and how to respond is critical; 

All of this is very true; I would just add that in an extreme dry heat situation the symptoms can be masked due to the false feeling of comfort of not being miserably sticky like in high humid conditions.

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

If the Radiers engage in two-a-days outside, in Las Vagas, in July and August, (which wouild be akin to how DCI corps rehearse during those months) then yeah, I am concerned that some of them would develop serious heat related injuries or even die.  But something tells me that the Radiers are smarter than that.

Interesting point. Even with all their expertise and training, NFL teams routinely suffer heat related illnesses.  But because they are properly identified and treated there are rarely any serious consequences.  Heck look at northern teams who go to play in Miami.  Guys dropping left and right because they had no chance to acclimate.  Anyway I'm positive the Raiders will have a nice air-conditioned practice facility in Vegas.  

• Like 1

I looked at a map. Kansas or Nebraska seems to be a middle compromise. Have a contest there if the weather is good mid August or start the season early and have finals late July or start the season late and have finals late August. Shift the season by 2 weeks one way or the other might be a solution to escape the inevitable summer heat?