12 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Third time in this thread I've mentioned this, we have indoor air conditioned facilities with space available for more than a dozen corps with high vacancy rates in the summer. Not sure why that keeps getting ignored.

Also annually we have at least one corps come through Las Vegas and hosts a whole practice. It's usually well attended by local music community. Phantom's been out here a few times, and Blue Knights were out here last year. They practice outside, they drink water, and I've yet to hear about a single negative impact from heat.

Let's recap:

• Indoor facilities are available
  • Show site is indoor and air conditioned
  • Corps practice annually in Las Vegas outdoors with no issues
  • Risk rate established in one example as less than half of half of a percent.

I'm not saying DCI will or won't have a show out here, probably never will, but the facts presented demonstrate all arguments against such a show are based on fear bias rather than plausible argument.

You mean to tell me that each school has 2 full sized indoor fields?

Edited by Barneveld

9 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I'm not saying DCI will or won't have a show out here, probably never will, but the facts presented demonstrate all arguments against such a show are based on fear bias rather than plausible argument.

Well neener neener neener. Do you feel better?  When people disagree it doesn't have to devolve into a "right" versus "wrong", the other side must be destroyed thing. We don't have to be like the politicians. I have no "fear" about this topic and my argument is far from implausible. But now that we are teetering on the edge of ad hominem attacks I'm gonna back out of this thread. 

5 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Nope, we have more convention space than anywhere on the planet. Millions of square feet of that is public, and convention occupancy is lower in the summer meaning it's not difficult to find vacancy for drum corps. I've literally rehearsed drum corps in churches and YMCAs, busing in from housing sites where we showered. Indoor, air conditioned convention space as a viable option for this along the same lines.

8 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Almost every corps would say 3.  (even worse).  And ... who's paying for access to all these indoor facilities?  Because I'm sure it's a bit more expensive than using 3 outdoor fields.  

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well neener neener neener. Do you feel better?  When people disagree it doesn't have to devolve into a "right" versus "wrong", the other side must be destroyed thing. We don't have to be like the politicians. I have no "fear" about this topic and my argument is far from implausible. But now that we are teetering on the edge of ad hominem attacks I'm gonna back out of this thread. 

Not really. I simply wanted to have a rational discussion on the topic, and instead received myriad attacks on my home, none of which are backed by data or the simplest of rationale. I didn't start the thread and I've only presented information that is both mathematically and anecdotally sound. According to several individuals in this thread, I don't know my own home, I've actually risked my life hundreds of times by participating in any outdoor musical or athletic activities, and arguments based on data or historical evidence are not relevant if they don't support a negative bias.

Cool thing about stats and facts, they're true whether you believe them or not.

3 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Nope, we have more convention space than anywhere on the planet. Millions of square feet of that is public, and convention occupancy is lower in the summer meaning it's not difficult to find vacancy for drum corps. I've literally rehearsed drum corps in churches and YMCAs, busing in from housing sites where we showered. Indoor, air conditioned convention space as a viable option for this along the same lines.

Clearly you've never paid to be in that convention space!  Want to plug that in ? Oh this is a union shop -- *I* will plug that in for you.  Use your own extension cord? Oh no you have to rent one of ours.   Carry those cases in?  No no.  Sorry sir -- union rules.

Vegas floor space is a pain the butt and the wallet.

24 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Not really. I simply wanted to have a rational discussion on the topic, and instead received myriad attacks on my home,

Good Grief Charlie Brown!  Nobody is attacking your home!  Las Vegas is great for a multitude of reasons!  We are merely stating that it would not be wise for the Radiers to hold two-a-days in the outside desert heat of 106*, and it would not be wise for a multitude of DCI corps to rehearse all day in the same situation.

Edited by Stu

20 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Ok.  According to the NWS the average number of deaths due to lightning each year is 33; and according to the CDC the average number who die each year from heatstroke in high ambient temperature situations is 658 per year.  As a ‘preventive measure’ to potential death, DCI cancels events in weather situations that produce lightning.  Just stating the facts.

28 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Unless you can show where there are a plethora of indoor rehearsal facilities within close proximity to the new Raders Stadium that have a multitude of full sized football filed floor space per site and high vantage points for staff, that in turn would not cost these corps more than typical outdoor rehearsal sites, a DCI show in the desert, in the middle of summer, just should not happen.

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

Not really. I simply wanted to have a rational discussion on the topic, and instead received myriad attacks on my home, none of which are backed by data or the simplest of rationale. I didn't start the thread and I've only presented information that is both mathematically and anecdotally sound. According to several individuals in this thread, I don't know my own home, I've actually risked my life hundreds of times by participating in any outdoor musical or athletic activities, and arguments based on data or historical evidence are not relevant if they don't support a negative bias.

There were a number of reasons for DCI not to consider utilizing Jackson, Mississippi for their Championships week in 1993. Weather certainly was one of them. To no ones surprise, August in Mississippi can be as hot as a pistol, not to mention the choking humidity possible for both fans, staffers, and marchers alike. That said, there were no reported Drum Corps deaths, nor permanent physical impairments to my knowledge attributed to heat and humidity with the weather at Championships or outdoor practice facilities in Mississippi. I have been to Jackson, Mississippi, as well as many venues in both Texas and throughout the South over the years. I have been to both Phoenix and Las Vegas too. I see no material difference in the necessary health precautions related to weather that need to be taken in either Las Vegas, Nevada or Phoenix, Arizona compared to most towns and cities in ( for example ) South Carolina, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc in late July and throughout the month of August. Once a temperature exceeds 92-94 degrees, the precautions one needs to take are exactly the same, no matter the venue that the temp exceeds 92-94 degrees. If a couple of posters here are so concerned with marchers practicing in, and/ or competing in, temps that exceed 92-94 degrees, then they really are asking to eliminate DCI altogether. That's because its likely that most Corps would have to halt practice conditions once they travel south of the Mason- Dixon line come early to mid July, and cancel most of the shows here as the 90'ish temperatures, and most especially the high humidity index, with its subsequent health risk, makes these venues in the south and southwest no less safer in the summer in these humidity havens than in Las Vegas, Nevada or in Phoenix, Arizona. And that's " a fact".. Jack.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1