I did a quick search on july weather in us (I melt at 20 degrees C and feel invigorated at -20 degrees C > stay cool > be good)

July is the hottest month of the year for most large US cities. Daytime temperatures above 80 degrees Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius) regularly occur nearly everywhere.

I did a quick search on july weather in canada? (go to the mountains > go to Denver > go up or go indoors with air conditioning > yikes)

The months of July and August offer the best summer weather in Banff. July is the peak summer tourist period and enjoys warm, sunny and long days. The average daytime temperatures are around 22°C (71°F) whereas the average minimum temperatures are around 7°C (about 45°F). ... All the lakes have also melted by midJuly

Good golly! It's hot in July no matter where you go in the Northern Hemisphere! I wonder if we have a warming trend in North America? Statisticians are welcome. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2017 at 10:49 PM, Stu said:

While the new Raiders stadium might be enclosed, the rehearsal facilities at all of the housing sites will be outside. The average daytime temperature for July and August in Las Vegas is 103* – 106*.  So to me, bad idea.

...but it's a dry heat....  

True story.

Back in the day, I flew out of Louis Armstrong airport near New Orleans where it was 96, humid, and so very miserable.  Living in Louisiana was torture sometimes. 

I flew into McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas a few hours later. It was 110 degrees (living in Vegas was torture sometimes too, but never boring), and it felt SO much better than when I left Nola.   ...but I wouldn't want to rehearse outside there in the middle of the day even though Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and a couple of corps did that a couple of years back when there was a show at Sam Boyd Stadium over in Whitney (East Las Vegas, NV).

• Like 1

Interestingly both football player and military studies have found that it's day 1 / day 2 that are by far the most dangerous.  After that the body seems  adjusts itself to operate better in the hot environment.  It also points out  large body mass has significant impact. So maybe there's science that says the MM's are already acclimated and are better able to withstand high heat  index conditions.  

• Like 1

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread. Using the current tour model, and a "passing through" show, the show is in the new Raiders venue in 2021 (using Indy and Atlanta as models, we'll say they were still putting finishing touches on it during early July 2020).

Its on Wednesday. The following night Ogden, UT and DATR on Saturday. The northwest jaunt is also happening concurrently, and we'll say either BD or SCV is on that leg (lets say SCV) plus OC, Cascades, and the northwest Open groups.

A midwest corps is also doing a pacific tour (picking name out of hat... It's Cavies).

So, for a Wednesday night show, our lineup is Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Blue Knights, The Academy, Mandarins, and Pacific Crest, joined by BDB, Vanguard Cadets, Gold, and The Battallion.

Most promoters on the country would love that as a midweek lineup. If the northwest leg was earlier and SCV, OC,  and Cascades were added, so much the better for this example.

Also, it behooves DCI to expand into new markets. Counting Vegas, Henderson, and other burbs, plus somewhere like Flagstaff or St George, how many people live within 2 to 3 hours of there?

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lindap said:

I did a quick search on july weather in us (I melt at 20 degrees C and feel invigorated at -20 degrees C

Do you take summer vacations to perhaps Siberia or the North Pole then to get out of the 70 degree scorching summer heat of Canada ?... ( haha )

9 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I wouldn't want to rehearse outside there in the middle of the day even though Blue Devils, Bluecoats, and a couple of corps did that a couple of years back when there was a show at Sam Boyd Stadium over in Whitney (East Las Vegas, NV).

I don't recall anyone getting heat exhaustion at the DCI practice or the DCI show here in Vegas then either. if they did, there was narry a peep of complaints here on DCP about it.

Given the fact that a couple of DCP'ers on here are so concerned with the DCI marchers health competing in Nevada, I wonder if they would like to see all Nevada youth who participate in sports in Nevada,  be banned from practice and games when the temps reach 100 or higher ? Or does their concern for the youth stop at the water's edge of Drum Corps ? If their concern for the youth on weather condition temperatures extend to the youth in all sports, then logically we would have to assume they would be for the stoppage of most youth sports participation in July, August in Nevada, and for youth sports participation in Canada several months out of the year when the youth there are subjected to potential frostbite, upper respiratory infections, pneumonia, etc when the low temperatures there are just as risky ( or more so ) if precautions are not undertaken to protect the youth in such temperatures.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Do you take summer vacations to perhaps Siberia or the North Pole then to get out of the 70 degree scorching summer heat of Canada ?... ( haha )

Hey, don't pick on Lindap. I too vote for Drums Across the Arctic with Banff, Lake Louise, and maybe west at Whistler before both Vancouvers, Seattle, and Portland.

Eastern swing would be Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal, Quevec city and onto Hundson Bay. :-P  (yes, now we'll hear the memories of the snow flurries during the sound tests at Stade Olympique the years Championships were at McGill. But that was Aug. 15th or so.) 

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Hey, don't pick on Lindap. I too vote for Drums Across the Arctic with Banff, Lake Louise, and maybe west at Whistler  

Sounds good to me. Canada used to be a hotbed of Drum Corps activity. Now there are more Corps and Guards in the Far East than with our neighbors to the North.

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Sounds good to me. Canada used to be a hotbed of Drum Corps activity. Now there are more Corps and Guards in the Far East than with our neighbors to the North.

But we still got to keep John Phillips and Bieber. :-p