What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

2 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Yea unfortunately BD finally did that stupid move and I wanted to puke more than seeing any other corps do it!

What was the first show to feature this move? All of the sudden, it was everywhere. 

7 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Cadets 2007. A monster show with no ballad

Crown 2012 is another one that pops into my mind. I don't really consider Copland's "Fanfare" to be a ballad.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

Calling the Marching Members "members of the Cast."

To me this is a pseuo-self glorification of the instructional staff, elevating them to a theater=like prissiness as director, producer, and Emmy worthy diva.

I don't mind dissonance, in fact I love it, but I'm getting tired of the tri-tone chords usually done by mellos then they resolve. Vanguard 2016 did it like every five seconds it actually kinda made me annoyed overall with their show, but basically every corps does it. Also not really show related and I feel I'm the o my one who feels this way but I hate the announcers voice at finals. He sounds like he's yelling while gurgling water and it kills the vibe of every show and makes it sound like a MMA fights about to happen instead of a drum corps show. 

The beat bouncing, grinning pit.  This can be a major distraction.  

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

One corps in 2015 did this leg lift thing that reminded me of a dog urinating on a fire hydrant.  And they did it over and over and over again in the show...drove me crazy. 

Would that be the Bluecoats? I recall they used something like that as a visual motive that year.

• Like 1

Several posters have touched on this subject here... where does this stuff come from? 

I went to a WGI regional show a couple of years ago. (Disclaimer: I don't get to a lot of guard shows. Like maybe two a decade. LOL.) Had fun, caught up with some old friends, got to see a number of great guards, etc... but every guard followed the same format.  A "solo dancer or solo equipment handler" segment to open the show... then the rest of the guard joining in for the body of the show... then a "down ending."  Every single guard did this.

At intermission I asked a friend who's been involved with guard for decades... as a judge, designer, and performer... if this was some sort of mandated format.  He smiled and said, no... what was going on was just the latest trend. Or "fad" as he put it.

Who starts these #### trends??? :tongue:

• Like 1